Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Tools for automated testing of VB6 GUI

Can you recommend any?

ICBW
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

AutomatedQA is good and the best deal out there. Mercury WinRunner is shockingly overpriced. Visual Test is shockingly out of date and appears to be abandoned.

As soon as you start automated testing of GUIs, you'll discover that it's just about impossible to do right: small changes in the UI can ruin entire test suites and timing is very difficult to get right (how long after choosing File|Open should you wait to see if the dialog appears?).

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

One major challenge of GUI testing is evaluating the response.

I.e., if the test is:
a. Click bntShowUsers1
b. Listbox1 should update to show list of users, that's tough to evaluate.

So, what I'm planning for my next programs it to try (harder) to seperate UI from code. So the UI is just a veneer over the code.

THEN, I should primarily just need to test the CODE, which is much easier to evaluate.

Mr. Analogy

I find though that for every line of "core algorithm code", I've got at least five lines of GUI code. So the GUI is buggier AND harder to test.

Dan Maas

Don't do verification through an automated test tool!!!!!

have the tool a) run scripts that will check the apps state via api, or b)take snapshots and verify manually

the artist formerly known as prince

"So, what I'm planning for my next programs it to try (harder) to seperate UI from code. So the UI is just a veneer over the code."

The name for that technique is Model View Controller, and comes very highly recommended.  Look in the first chapter of "Design Patterns" (Gang of Four book) to learn more.

Jim Rankin
Friday, March 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home