Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Apprentice warm-up thread

Hi Joel,

Think you can do me a quick favour? I started a thread about the Apprentice show, and I accidently gave some stuff away.

If you have a chance, could you delete it?

My apologies for wasting your valuable database stuff with that pop fluff ;-)

Nigel

Nigel
Thursday, March 18, 2004

Done.

NOT LIKE I HAVE TIME TO BABYSIT YOU NINNIES

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, March 18, 2004

The apprentice threads are stupid.

What makes them so special that the Elves don't remove them?

Bleh
Thursday, March 18, 2004

Bleh wrote, "What makes them so special that the Elves don't remove them?"

* Because some programmers own a business.
* Because the only aspect about business some programmers are exposed to is what the inside of a cubicle looks like.
* Because even though this show doesn't mirror reality it does cause some programmers to discuss business issues.
* Because some posters appear to need a break from only discussing software development issues.
* Because many programmers have to interact with
"the suits" on a daily basis and office politics is a fact of life for many people.
* Because it might cause some people to come out of lurker mode.

Yes, I know that all the reasons that I provided why this particular television show should be discussed on JOS are very weak.  :-)

One Programmer's Opinion
Friday, March 19, 2004

Actually I think you nailed it 100%.

But then it's my thread, so I'm biased. :-D

Philo

Philo
Friday, March 19, 2004

* Because a lot of people can't even watch it;  it's not like a website which anyone can see....

Bleh
Sunday, March 21, 2004

* Because there are other forums out there on the internet for filler noise
* This is a good forum,  so there shouldn't need to be noise
* http://www.realitytvtalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=95

Bleh
Sunday, March 21, 2004

* Most of the apprentice posts have either "What is the Apprentice?" questions,  or "This is stupid" comments

Bleh
Sunday, March 21, 2004

"* Most of the apprentice posts have either "What is the Apprentice?" questions,  or "This is stupid" comments "

You've spent *way* more time griping about this than it would have taken you to just skip over it.  Joel has chosen not to delete those threads, which means they are sufficiently relevant to this site to stay.  Why not just agree that some people here want to talk about the Apprentice, and skip over those threads yourself?

Emperor Norton
Sunday, March 21, 2004

From the Clay Shirky paper a group is its own worst enemy:

"He said the group structure is necessary to defend the group from itself. Group structure exists to keep a group on target, on track, on message, on charter, whatever. To keep a group focused on its own sophisticated goals and to keep a group from sliding into these basic patterns. Group structure defends the group from the action of its own members."

http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Bleh
Sunday, March 21, 2004

Hey, we don't get the apprentice here in Australia, but I love reading the 'Apprentice' threads.

Come on, ever office always has its 'pools', ie the football pool, and then when that is over someone starts a 'survivor' pool, or a 'sharetrading' pool, or a 'big brother' pool, or a 'how much is the receptionists baby going to weigh' pool.

JoS has an apprentice pool. It is a structure way that the members of JoS can get informal together.

Kind of like saying to the employees, look I don't want you spending half your day catching up on gossip, look here, have this 'survivor' pool, spend 10minutes every wednesday talking about it, and then get back to work!!!

Aussie Chick
Monday, March 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home