Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Jet redist licence: Configuring form controls.

Hi, I am writing an application using VB and connecting to Jet 4.0.  The intention is to allow the screen controls (In house Custom built) to be configured in terms of screen position, validation, valuelist, hyperlinking etc...
I am sure I read somewhere last year that there is a Licencing clause either for redistributing Access, or Jet, if the screen configuration data resides in the Jet database.
With this in mind I am using external configuration files for the basics like existance, position, size etc, but would obviously like to put this in the database & integrate it with the rest of the setup data.
Is anyone else aware of this clause?
And is it specific to Jet or Access?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

Steve Chatten
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I haven't read the license closely in a long time. If memory serves, Microsoft just doesn't want you to use Jet to make a database management system like MS-Access, and has taken legal action to stop people from doing this.

If you're concerned, READ THE LICENSE and if you're still worried show the license to an attorney and if you're still worried just ask Microsoft.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

There was a company that actually sold a database using Acciess that competed with Access. It was part of an atlernative office suite that sold for about $150 and got rave reviews, espeically the database :)

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Guy's That's great.
Since I am writing a configurable App & not a database development tool, it looks like I can do away with the external screen config files.
I have had another look for a Jet redistribution licence but still am having no luck.
Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

Steve.

Steve Chatten
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home