Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why can or can't this work?

In this article [http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000034.html] you describe the position of program manager.  Do you think it is possible for the program manager to be located in the U.S. while the coders are located offshore (for example, in India)?  Can this work?  Why or why not?

Skeptical
Monday, March 15, 2004

Oops, here is the correct link:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000034.html

Skeptical
Monday, March 15, 2004

STOP already, enough about offshoring, aren't you all bored by this topic yet?

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Monday, March 15, 2004

I am.

Anon
Monday, March 15, 2004

Sheesh.  Nevermind then.

Skeptical
Monday, March 15, 2004

And why is it called offshoring when most target countries aren't even classified as islands in the first place?

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, March 15, 2004

I don't think it's a question of not being bored with the subject - it's more that we're uncertain about the future.  In other words, if offshoring meant we'd all lose our jobs by X date - there wouldn't be that much to discuss... Everyone would be busy finding something else to do. 

And it's fairly obvious that this is a serious issue for developers, and we're nervous (some of us don't run our own s/w companies *ahem Joel*) - People like to talk about their worries, and this is why we hash & rehash the offshoring issue.

GiorgioG
Monday, March 15, 2004

Forgive my little outburst. It seems we've covered this issue from every imaginable angle and there's nothing left to say, though.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Monday, March 15, 2004

So, whats the definitative answer then, Almight Joel?

Anon-y-mous Cow-ard
Monday, March 15, 2004

Didn't he cover that already?  The definitive answer is that nobody knows where this is leading or what is going to happen but lots of people are pretty worried about it.  Isn't that about right?

muppet from electric-chipmunk
Monday, March 15, 2004

I reckon it's called "offshoring" because the term originated in Britain, which is an island, so every other country is off-shore.

John C
Monday, March 15, 2004

I bet the autoworker forums had tons of threads like this twenty, thirty years ago.

Kyralessa
Monday, March 15, 2004

Well, except that 20-30 years ago autoworkers probably never heard of anything like the Internet, and they certainly didn't have any discussion forums on it... :)

Martha
Monday, March 15, 2004

Nope, they had picket lines...and that didn't helped much either...

GiorgioG
Monday, March 15, 2004

So we're all going to be out of work then, eh? Just try and act surprised when it happens.

Anon-y-mous Cow-ard
Monday, March 15, 2004

I wouldn't mind so much if companies took care of the folks they were 'getting rid of' and offshoring their job functions.  Pay for a college degree so that the poor shlep can get a job.  "But that might cost $30k-40k!"  Yeah, well if they're saving so much by offshoring, they'll recoup that within 1-2 years.  Social responsibility is what it's about.  But, as humans, we're chronically selfish. 

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - AoD

GiorgioG
Monday, March 15, 2004

Really, Martha?  Gee whiz, that's a new one on me.  See, I'm only seven years old and the Internet has been around my whole life.

*sigh*

Kyralessa
Monday, March 15, 2004

Cheeky sarcasm rocks. :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home