Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Alternative Career

If you weren't involved in the development of software, what might you be doing?  That is to say, if software development were removed as an option, given all other _realistic_ oppotunities, what might you choose as an alternative career?

bpd
Thursday, March 11, 2004

I would be one of those "This Old House" type people who restores old houses.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Monday, March 15, 2004

The Flipper Who Cares?

Just a reference to a popular sitcom.

Nigel
Monday, March 15, 2004

I can't imagine doing the software thing for the entirety of my working lifetime.  As my father once said,  once you've been programming for about eight or ten years,  there's not a lot that's new and exciting.

I'm not sure what I'm going to switch to once I have enough capital to maintain my lifestyle.

[But I do see photography in my future (: ]

Bleh
Monday, March 15, 2004

I have to take issue with the statement of 8-10 years and you've seen it all. That is a typical statement from someone in the mainframe world who has been writing stock control and accounts receivable packages all of their life. I come from that world so I do know what I am talking about. Outside of that world, the in-house IT department, there are lots of new challenges. I've moved from mainframe to PC, learned C then went to OO, then Java/J2EE and back to C++ (thats no reflection on Java/J2EE BTW). I've taught myself the basics of DSP and am dabbling in that area, its fascinating.

I suppose it depends on whether you see computers as a mere job or as a continual learning experience.

WhatTimeIsItEccles
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Some of us who claim to have 'seen it all' are really talking about big whole sea changes.  I've spent 8 years in mainly C++.  The first 2 years were very exciting because it was a very strange world and I was learning so much every day.

The last 6 years I've still been learning, but it's not the same.  I've switched languages, and it was exciting for a while too.  I've switched industries, and had the same feeling. 

I still enjoy it, and I will continue to play this job out as long as I can.  Now though, I'm no longer seeking that rush that I had when I first started.  Now I enjoy fighting fires and working with people - the very things I hated when I first started.

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I'd be a corporate trainer

Jason Spiro
Sunday, March 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home