Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is this a little over the top?

"Our customers tell us it has: they're universally ecstatic about the quality of our work. "

I noticed this on the Fog Creek page and thought to myself, 'Am I ecstatic about the quality of their work?'

How do you guage the level of marketing speak you indulge in?

I know this may sound sarcastic but I am sincerely interested.

B#
Friday, March 05, 2004

Yes, it's over the top. I wrote that more than three years ago when we had two customers (consulting only) and it was completely true. I'll go rewrite that page.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Friday, March 05, 2004

Planetarily ecstatic is a little harder to scan than Universally ecstatic, and city wide euphoria sounds either like a Rave or someone put something in the water system.

Generally our customers don't sue us may be nearer the mark for most companies.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, March 06, 2004

Our customers:  Ubiquitous melancholy

B#
Saturday, March 06, 2004

A point and a question.  I think it is amazing that Joel is going to rewrite the page on the grounds of hyperbole.  Bravo.

My question is (as a non-marketing type) what do you think is the effect of presenting an honest assessment of one's product or services?  If everyone else uses "universally ecstatic" and you say "very good, high quality with a number of known defects.  We strive to eliminate the most costly defects but we admit that there are some just not worth fixing", how do customers see that?  Do they say "wow, this guy's software must really suck compared to the others" or do they say "This guy seems more realistic than the others so my guess is that his stuff is higher quality"?

name withheld out of cowardice
Monday, March 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home