Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FogBUGZ, MDAC and Jet

If FogBUGZ uses Jet for its data (since MSDE is too flaky) why does it require MDAC to be installed?  You use OLE DB? ADO? Why not just interface straight to Jet?

Ken Klose
Sunday, February 29, 2004

FogBUGZ can use Jet, MS-SQL Server, MySQL, or MSDE.

CityDesk uses Jet only.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

MSDE is not flaky. It's MS SQL Server.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

What do you think "interface straight to Jet" means? DAO? That's part of the MDAC stack too.

Troll-hater
Monday, March 01, 2004

Being a Java guy, I don't much about:

Whether MSDE is flaky, but this thread seems to suggest it (http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1521&ixReplies=12)

Exactly what "Why not just interface straight to Jet?" means.  But I do know my machine has the latest Jet installed courtesy of windowsupdate, but when I went to install FogBUGZ it wanted me to first install MDAC.  I found that a little odd since I knew FogBUGZ used Jet, Jet was installed, and Jet could be accessed by other programs on my system.

Joel's answer clears that up for me.

Again, I'm primarily a java guy, I apologize for the gap in my Windows database knowledge.

Ken Klose
Monday, March 01, 2004

So FogBUGZ >does< run on MSDE. Phew!
I think I asked about this on JoS several times and never got a straight answer.
You might want to put this on the FogBUGZ system requirements page (http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/setup/WindowsReady.html), Joel, since it is not obvious.
e.g. The thing that made me doubt was the "full text" search on SQL Server, which AFAIK is not an MSDE supported feature (and you seem to not have done an implementation yourself since you do not offer it for Jet).

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, March 01, 2004

Saying "MSDE is flaky" and "automatic and unattended installation of MSDE is flaky" are, I'm sure you can appreciate, two entirely different things.

And, actually, installing MSDE isn't really much of a problem. The problem is uninstalling it cleanly. It's a great database, but whoever at Microsoft decided it should be the replacement for Access was smoking crack.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, March 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home