Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Zoop?

Is Zoop the worst game ever?

Clutch Cargo
Saturday, February 28, 2004

The version on my web site is a fairly faithful rendition of the demo version of Zoop, although the real version is a lot nicer.

Zoop is much like Tetris, but not quite as brilliantly addictive, and it flopped in the marketplace because it was a simple puzzle game in an era of 3D shooters.

Zoop was designed and programmed by some folks in England, can't remember who they were any more, and published by Viacom New Media, which closed down shortly thereafter. My Java demo came out at about the same time as Java itself and was one of the first applets of any sort anywhere.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Sunday, February 29, 2004

I think there's plenty of room for simple puzzle games in an era of 3D shooters; to whit, Bejeweled is like crack to anybody who dares play it.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, February 29, 2004

Aaacck! Don't dare play it.  Three hours will go by in the blink of an eye, and all you're left with is carpal tunnel and a craving for more.  There outta be a 12-step program.

Shit.  Those little diamonds, rubies, and sapphires are calling me.

Gotta go!

Nick
Monday, March 01, 2004

I've played a bit of Bejeweled, and I don't see why some people are so addicted. I find it too simple to be addictive. Fun to play once in a while, yes, but after one game I'm done.

Karl von L.
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

I second the crack comment.  When the game invades your dreams, you know it has captured your soul.  Tetris and Bejeweled are the only games I can remember dreaming about.
I once got fragged in Half-Life and accidentally swallowed my gum, but that's totally different.

Brian
Thursday, March 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home