Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Amazon.com Affiliate Referral Revenues

I notice that anywhere you recommend or mention a book you link to it on Amazon.com using affiliate referral URL.  How well does their affiliate program work, does it generate significant revenues?

Ken Klose
Saturday, February 28, 2004

I think it's around $500/month. Amazon has been jiggering with their formulas and the way they do things so I have seen a steady erosion of that number even while my traffic increases. Every once in a while Amazon requires affiliates to make some kind of complicated choice devised by a committee of Game Theory PhDs which feels like an interview question at a hedge fund. (How much should you pay for the right to have a 3% chance of an increase of 1/4% in all clickthroughs that result in a sale for Toy products priced above $129, going up linearly to 1/2% over 17 months?) When you chose wrong, tada! You get less money the next month. It's creepy, now that I think of it, Jeff Bezos started out at a hedge fund.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

why don't you switch affiliations to a different, and presumably higher paying company

the artist formerly known as prince

Why Doc Searls Doesn't Sell Any Books

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000806.html

Matthew Lock

4 years and counting on Jakob Nielson's predictions of:
- Amazon's demise
- Banner ad's demise
- The rise of "reputation managers"
- The rise of "web wallets"
4 strikes Jakob, you're out!  Way out!

Ken Klose
Sunday, February 29, 2004

Agreed, Jakob is the Special Ed student of HTML. If you listen closely you'll find some wonderful nuggets of truth, but mostly it's just drool and the smell of peanut butter. :-D

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, February 29, 2004

That's harsh, Ken.  Who expects a horoscope to be 100% right all the time?

Kyralessa
Monday, March 01, 2004

Who expects a horoscope to be correct 1% of the time?!?

Anon
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

I'd expect it to be rigth 50% of the time on equal probability black or white predictions.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Many people talk and make a big fuss about Jacob Nielsen of useit.com.

I have read the web site and several articles by him.

There are some interesting things, but they are very rare.

In general, the guy talks about usability stuff that 90% of Windows programmers already have in their blood.

Yes, if you are an alien and are completely unaware about how people understand information and about how people do things, then, indeed, useit.com and Jacob are going to help you a lot.

However, if you are a normal human being with a bit of common sense, then don't bother visiting his site - you'll waste your time and get frustrated about how little useful info can be embedded in a lot of fluff.

MX
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Actually, horoscopes are designed to be vastly correct most of the time.  They never do specific predictions ("You will get a dog today.")  They just do a lot of suggestions ("You may find a surprise today!") that would cover not just the dog prediction, but just about anything a gullible person would think of.

Only the most cynical person would find NOTHING "true" with their horoscope.

T.J.
Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Ken, I think you're a bit harsh on Jacob. I use reputation managers all the time to buy products on the. epionion.com, resellerratings.com and shopping.yahoo.com are examples of what was described in that article. The demise of Amazon was predicted as 'long term'. Four years is long term to you? The demise of banner ads has started. My browser doesn't show them at all. Are you still trying to hit the monkey Ken?

AC
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

I used to work at a local newspaper. The horoscopes were written by whoever was late to work on the day we needed a new horoscope :-)

Jacek Artymiak
Thursday, March 04, 2004

Jakob Nielsen has been right on a couple of things as well. Take frames, for example, you hardly see them on the web anymore. On serious web sites it's completely gone. Good riddance!

Jonas B.
Monday, March 08, 2004

Jakob Nielsen just wants money like the rest of us. Remember how he was against Flash??? Once Macromedia put him on the payroll he only good things to say about it.

s11
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home