Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Monthly Data Transfer

Joel

I am curious about the amount of monthly data transfer for your joelonsoftware.com and discuss.fogcreek.com?

I am trying to get a handle on  the whole traffic estimation thing.

In market for good webhosting provider
Friday, February 27, 2004

Let's see -- the statistics I have here from Peer 1 are as follows:

95th Percentile Metered Usage (updated hourly): 556.91 kb/sec

Average Gigabyte Usage (updated every 10 minutes): 132.63 GB

I think that means 132GB per month of traffic.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Friday, February 27, 2004

I'm curious, is the 95% calculated as 95% max(in,out), max(95%(in,out)), 95% in + 95% out, or 95% (in+out).

Xn
Saturday, February 28, 2004

in+out

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Saturday, February 28, 2004

We recently dealt with a major bandwidth spike on our website. We learned that once you get into the 100GB+ range, it makes a lot more sense to pay for a fixed transmission rate than a fixed transfer limit. Many smaller webhosting companies will flatly refuse to handle a site in the >100GB range (even if they advertise that capability), and those that don't refuse, will charge outrageous fees (several dollars/GB). So if your site is that popular, I recommend looking at it from a megabits/sec perspective, not a gigabytes/month perspective.

Dan Maas
Sunday, February 29, 2004

There are several reliable companies offering dedicated servers with 700-1000GB/month of traffic in the $100-$200 price range. I hardly call that outrageous.

Jan Derk

The tier 1s all bill 95th percentile of transmission rates, which is why many (most?) co-location facilities also bills that way. You generally only get "traffic" rates for shared servers. Smart shared server companies are using traffic shaping to ensure that you can simply never exceed the transmission rate that they want to pay for.

If you co-locate and are billed 95th percentile, it makes a world of sense to use a traffic shaper as well, considering there's a pretty well respected and free one available for Linux.

FWIW, I consider "dedicated servers" to just be another form of "shared servers", except you're not sharing them. It's their hardware. That is, to differentiate against co-location facilities where you rent a cage with a drop and electricity, and bring in all your own equipment.

Jan, can you post some URLs for me? We are using dinix.com on a $120 for 1000GB plan, but they give us no way to see how close to the cap we are (!). I wasn't able to find any other non-shady-looking hosting company that would offer more than say 200GB for less than $400/mo.

Dan Maas

Check out the dedicated server section at www.webhostingtalk.com.

Personally, I have had a Linux server at ev1servers.net (formerly rackshack) for almost 2 years now and the box never went down. The traffic used is shown in the online control panel. In your case you could also install MRTG on your current server and use that to track the bandwidth and traffic.

Jan Derk

I use Pair Networks -- http://www.pair.com -- and their services are incredible.  Very fast, all the features you'd want, very thorough web administration tools, etc.  (And yes, the web administration tool does allow you to view how much traffic your site has gotten.)  They have high volume shared-server accounts that might suit your needs: 120GB per month for $180.  Dedicated servers start at 200GB and $250/month.

Ryan

Thanks for the links...

When we tried ev1servers last month, their order page came up as "server error" several days in a row. Bad first impression so we stayed away.

Pair looks good but check out their overage fee ($3/GB). 1000GB will cost over $2,000/month. (although that may be reasonable- 1000GB/month is roughly 3 megabits/sec continuously for the whole month)

Dan Maas

EV1 has been out of servers for the last few months or so, because their current data center is full. That's hardly an excuse for a non-working order form though. They seem to be opening a new data center with Dell only hardware this week, but I would not recommend anyone to be the first one to enter a new data center.

Jan Derk
Monday, March 01, 2004

And yes Pair (together with Futurequest) probably is the best shared host available, but they get expensive if your traffic grows a lot.

Another point to notice is that Pair servers are managed while EV1 is unmanaged. So if you're scared upgrading your kernel from a few thousand miles away then Pair probably is the better option.

Jan Derk
Monday, March 01, 2004

Graphpad.com has two dedicated servers at
www.crystaltech.com
and are very pleased.

Harvey Motulsky
Monday, March 01, 2004

I have been one the market for a dedicated server for some time and found www.oneandone.co.uk as the cheapest around (at least in the UK), at £49/month for a Win2003.

Anyone had any experience with these? I am afraid they are a bit too good to be true (pricewise, for a low volume site, of course).

Cheers
JSD

JSD
Saturday, March 06, 2004

I have known about ISP that count by the megabits instead of 95th percentiles for a while now, but the problem is it's pretty hard to find them for low-cost hobby projects (which just happens to eat up a lot of bandwidth). Most non-profits I know that uses that much bandwidth
rely on university bandwidth or donations, these guys charge through the nose.

Li-fan Chen
Sunday, March 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home