Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visited Links in this forum

Why does this forum/list change the URL of a thread when new comments are added?

Is this a clever feature designed to make threads with new comments be "not-visited" in my browser, thus alerting me to the new content I haven't seen?  Because it's really annoying.

Richard Platel
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

It is a clever feature designed to make threads with new comments be "not-visited" in your browser.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

...and unlike the bold topics, it's actually kinda useful.

<ducking and running>

Sam Livingston-Gray

Agreed. Useful

And agreed, the bold comments realy suck. Noone knows what's important or relevant to me better than me.

Ooops. Better watch out for the meta-comment police

gwyn

Nevertheless bold topics give as good insight what is important for Joel and FG.

Vlad Gudim
Thursday, February 26, 2004

and that is important, why?

anon

Because if you're one of Fog Creek's competitors, it helps you understand your competition.

Unless, of course, the bolded links are red herrings.

Kyralessa

If you don't care what Joel/FogCreek think are important, why would you even come to this site? 

Who is the bigger fool, the person who runs a blog, or the person who visits it and posts on its forums claiming not to care what the blogger thinks?

Mr. Fancypants

I have to say I really dislike the link changes when comments are added.  I think it can really be made much better.  The problem is I never remember which threads I have been visiting, especially on active days where a lot of topics are added.  I would recommend the following.

The topic be a static topic that never changes, followed by another dynamic link that is the number.  So I would see the following:

This Is A Topic (12)

The "This Is A Topic" would be one link, and the 12 would be another.  This way "This Is A Topic" would always be remembered by my browser, while the 12 would reset itself when new comments are added.

Oren Miller

Errrm, maybe you should only revisit the links based on the same criteria that you visited them in the first place thus probably visiting exactly the same links again and those which fall within the same set of criteria.

What is undeniably true is if the link is currently unvisited you haven't read all of it.

Simon Lucy

The reason this is broken is that the user model of every single website ever (except this one) is for links to indicate whether you've visited a page before or not. Changing that to mean something else is just wrong, even if it you think the new meaning is more useful.

PS A New Answers page like on Greenspun would solve this problem much more elegantly.

Graham

I think a lot of things in the world are hacks.  It sucks to break user models, but in America, everyone can accidentally break the law just crossing the street.  Programming often feels like that...

Tayssir John Gabbour

Aha, I see Simon.  So I should read through all the topics and decide (with the exact same criteria I had previously, since of course I am a computer) which topics I had been following say two days ago.

Far more convenient then, oh I don't know, looking for purple links.  Yay.

Oren Miller

So a visited link tells you you're interested in the thread?

Or it tells you you visited it?

A good, and probably planned, side effect of using the whole topic to show new content is that you have to read the topics to decide whether to go read them.

Simon Lucy
Friday, February 27, 2004

Who said that?  I never mentioned anything about interest.  Yes, it tells me the threads I had visited.  When I check the forum and come back a few hours later to find out how things are unraveling, I don't want to scan all the bleeding topics again to pick up where I left off.  If I have one link that remains purple and one that turns blue when things change, I can do this scan in seconds.  Are you seriously not understanding how this might be usefull to someone?  Not you, clearly you've expressed that, but just please just admit that such a thing might be usefull to people other than you.

Oren Miller

I have to say you also simply have not read my original post.  If you would please do so, I had clearly stated that one link remains changes to indicate visitation, and one that reverts to indicate new content.  You arguments all pretend that I want to get rid of the new content color changes completely which is false.  So what gives?

Oren Miller

I wouldnt mind being able to search on my name, so I can find my posts and see what other comments people have made.

Currently I find it near impossible to find anything. :)

Andy Watson
Monday, April 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home