Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel, what does it like to be an egomaniac?

I think you bring up good points about sw eng. once a while, but somehow you come across as an egomanic.  May be it is your NYC attitude.

syeung2000@hotmail.com
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Well, I guess I put my email there for mistake (may be not). more spam for me.

Steve

It's quite tiring. I don't think people understand how much work it takes to be an egomaniac.

But enough about me. What do YOU think about my website?

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

your website is great. however i'm baffled as to why you deleted my topic about coffee shops in manhattan, and kept this one.  also, what does it REALLY feel like to be copying philip greenspun, circa 1998?

Uggh, can we have one question per topic please?

That was two questions, and this topic already has a topic.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

Topics, a nut in every bite.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Joel,

I find being an egomaniac quite effortless, but then again my superior genetic constitution makes most mental tasks easy.  If you like, I could give you the benefit of my experience.

name withheld out of cowardice

Speaking from experience, I can say that it's shear torture to be the smartest, most-capable person in a group.  When the other people don't even see their own blind spots, it's virtually impossible to have meaningful, productive discussions with the other group-members.  Eventually, you just say to yourself, "oh, [screw] it", and you let the others have their way.

Anonymous for obvious reasons

I, on the other hand, am extremely modest.  So modest in fact that I no longer consider my intense modesty to be a positive trait.  That's why I can tell you all about it -- I'd be bragging otherwise.

The Modest One

"shear torture"

I shudder just thinking about it

Cognitive Dissonance

If you want to tweak someone who you think has a big ego, say something like:  "Where do you lay your ego down at night?"  And then say, "it must take a pretty large area." 

I read this put-down in Boot magazine back in the early or mid 90's.  A reader had written in criticizing one of the Microsoft evangelists (I think it was the ActiveX guy).  Now that I see it in print again, I think it was funnier when I was 17 and reading it in Boot. 

Chris

So Stephen is pissed off 'cause Joel deleted HIS post... Bwaaaa, bwaaaa, Joel deleted MY post, MY post, MY insightful post about coffee shops  !!!

LOL.

And then he asks "what does it like to be an egomaniac?".

ROFL.

The internet. What a wonderful place.

Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off while peeing in my pants
Thursday, February 26, 2004

I worked with a guy that had 8 siblings.  We were toiling away one day, chatting idly about his family, when he looked me squarely in the eye and said in all seriouness:

'I think I am the humblest of them all'

He was wrong, of course, I AM THE HUMBLEST OF THEM ALL!

P.S.  I hate bigots!

Thursday, February 26, 2004

>> I find being an egomaniac quite effortless, but then again my superior genetic constitution makes most mental tasks easy.

name withheld, thank you, you made my day.
Regards,

Dimitri.
Friday, February 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home