Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

best laptop friendly coffehouse in manhattan?

Hi,
I visit NYC frequently and am interested in finding a good coffee shop for editing digital photos and whatnot. The coffee shop I like to visit, i forget what it is called, but it is over by prince street, is great but they are typical soho snobbies there and there are signs stating "please no laptop usage."    So anyway. Can you recommend your favorite laptop friendly coffee house?

I personally like high ceilings and natural light so if you know of one like that it would be great to hear about it.

traveler
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

The trouble with Manhattan is that commercial real estate is so expensive here that nobody can afford to run a coffee shop in a good location and let people lounge around all day.

That said, "Space Untitled" in Soho is my favorite coffee shop when you want a place to sit and read for a while.

http://www.artseensoho.com/Mammon/cafes/spaceuntitledview.html

They can afford it because they're an art gallery too.

There are some decent Xando/Cosi's, too, around town, which usually are pleasant places to sit in the afternoon.

I have never really done the laptop-in-a-cafe thing. Well, not never, maybe once.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

hey ho. space untitled was the coffee shop i was talking about! thanks for reminding me of the name. a great space, but anti-laptop, for whatever reason.  that place is huge; i wonder how they manage to stay a coffee shop.

traveler

The NYU starbucks on West 4th a couple of blocks west of Broadway is pretty nice, too.  You have to battle college students trying to study for space, though.

Foolish Jordan
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Sadly, Manhattan does not have an abundance of free wifi. Here are my findings:

There's a place in the East Village called alt.coffee, which offers free wifi and has several Internet-connected Mac workstations. The staff is disgruntled, though, probably from diagnosing computer problems all day long, and they impose a time limit, something like 2-3 hours, which they'll tell you all about the second you ask how late they're open.

Bryant Park and the NYPL (main branch w/ lions) has free wifi. When the weather is nice it's fun to sit outside on the computer, although when it's sunny the glare on the screen can be annoying.

There's also Chelsea Market. The whole thing is covered in free wifi, and there are several of bakeries, pastry shops, and restaurants.

To be honest, when I was in Manhattan for a while and didn't have high-speed access, after a couple of frustrating days trying to find decent free wifi, I just bought t-mobile access for $30/month. That gets you access in any t-mobile Starbucks, of which there are zillions in Manhattan, as well as other t-mobile hotspots, which includes lots of airports.

michael
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I've seen a credible-sounding suggestion that hotel lobbies can sometimes fit this need, but on't have any experience that way myself.

RH
Thursday, February 26, 2004

Club Quarters Downtown near NYSE has unrestricted WiFi in their lobby. They also have a PC and printer. If you can manage to look like you belong for long enough to check your email then mission accomplished. You could probably also gain access from their restaurant or on the street.

dmooney
Thursday, February 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home