Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How are the non-Windows versions of FogBugz doing?

Has it been worth effort? Seeing many OS X sales?

Robert Sayre
Monday, February 23, 2004

It's too soon for statistically meaningful data. I'll write something about it when we have about 3 months of sales.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Random data point:
That reminds me... I started downloading the OS X stuff to try it out but there were many steps and I wasn't able to complete the install before I had to go do something else. Or maybe it was that there was some interesting tidbits in the install instructions and I ended up messing with something else. Anyway, it might be a few months before I have some time to try again.

Dennis Atkins

Joel, like any good business man, will keep the data about his company sales secret.

This is absolutely normal.

MX

To me even 6 months seems like a very early time to draw conclusions on something like this. My guess would be that it won't be until after at least the impact on a major new release is known that the cost/benefit analysis can be made (I'm assuming here there are no extremes and that at least the initial sales that could profit from novelty were OK).

Just me (Sir to you)

Why did you go for php?

If I had to decide on an open source, cross platform, web architecture these days, I'd go for python, a python-based templating language and a persistence layer. I wouldn't touch php with a bargepole.

Surely you must know that a hybrid language that mixes presentation with business logic only encourages bad practice. Last time I looked, it didn't seem to encourage object-orientation either.

So why go for php? Did you think it'd be easier to port asp code into php?

Dafydd Rees

PHP not object-oriented?  It *has* been a while since you looked.

van pelt

We thought that the ASP->PHP mapping was more direct.

And PHP is already installed on a greater number of machines.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

I'm very happy with the PHP version.

It was a bit difficult to set it up to read email boxes, as there was a problem with the dispatcho script.  Setting up multiple installations was also non-intuitive. 

Once it was installed, it was just like using the Windows version.

Lee
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

"Surely you must know that a hybrid language that mixes presentation with business logic only encourages bad practice. Last time I looked, it didn't seem to encourage object-orientation either."

The language doesn't mix presentation and business logic.  Geesh.  It would be the "programmer" who does that.  Just because the language allows it doesn't mean you have to do it.

saberworks
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I recently made the switch.  We were running the front end on a Windows 2000 server, while the database (MYSQL) was on an Apple Xserve running Panther.  I was able to install the front end on the Panther server and connect to the existing db in under 30 minutes.  The only issue I really had was with the PHP upgrade, but the directions for taking care of that were quite straightforward.  Oh, and I had to reset all the passwords.  Otherwise, it was super-smooth.  I'll check in again if I run into any problems.

NPW, NYC
Saturday, February 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home