Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Define BAD code.

There's a little annoyance that plays me lately.  As a fond user of the FreeBSD operating system it strikes me that most "sourceforge" (to give it a name) applications lack a sence of portability and stability.
There are for instance IM clients that will drop a core on first run, even when documentation says it runs stable and on all platforms. The odd thing about it is that it seems too happen more and more and not only with the ''questionable'' projects.  Somehow i get the idea that using lots of middleware like glib / sdl  makes us programmers a lot sloppier, resulting in bad code.
But can it be called bad code ? The application however seems to run fine on the developers platform of choice.
So from your experience, can you tell when is code actually BAD?

Dr. Snuggles
Monday, February 23, 2004

"Bad" is a binary term. It doesn't take much effort to see that software is complex and has a variety of attributes so merely giving it a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" is a pointless exercise.

Here's a photograph of me:

For bandwidth reasons it has been reduced to one pixel by one pixel, with one pixel of color.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Monday, February 23, 2004

LOL!

Murkin (from Murka)
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

You're black?

Just me (Sir to you)

One _bit_ of color, I guess...

Unsygn

And people wonder why there is such a huge communications gap between 'normal' people  and programmers. This exchange (one "pixel" of specified colour vs one "bit" for colour) should be posted on our walls.

Ron Porter

The Georgia font has big periods, making that a two-by-two pixel picture, even with IE scaled to small text.

Kevin

Duh, he's not black. Are you new? Obviously the room was dark and the flash didn't go off.

dmooney

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home