Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

In search of Rick Chapman

Since you know and respect Rick Chapman, could you please clarify for the record whether the pompous gasbag claiming to be Rick Chapman in the JoS thread is indeed Rick Chapman?

Robert Jacobson
Monday, February 23, 2004

The person posting as Rick Chapman is actually Rick Chapman, but the person posting as "I'm Rich Chapman, and so's my wife!" is not.

His book "In Search of Stupidity" is excellent, extremely funny, and incredibly informative. That's why I begged to be allowed to write the foreword to it and that's why I recommend it to anyone. His other book, "The Product Marketing Handbook for Software", is a goldmine -- a treasure trove of useful information -- probably the best book about software marketing out there.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

Coincidentally, someone gave me a copy of In Search Of a few days ago, and I just finished reading it, today. It's both entertaining and informative; it describes many classes of errors that a company might make.

One criticism I have for Chapman's attitude throughout the book can be summed up best as his saying, "See? This company screwed up. It's because X, Y, and Z happened. It's so OBVIOUS!", while unintentionally giving examples of where X, Y, and Z failed to crush other companies.

Thomas Sanders

re:  pompous gasbag

Did that display remind anyone else of someone that had never been through a usenet flamewar?

Dan Brown

Apparently the art of not feeding the trolls has been lost, or someone has a bit too much time on their hands.

This applies equally to anyone involved at this point.

Mikayla

Too bad you can't order The Product Marketing Handbook for Software on Amazon -- it's only available from one site that is down today.

Frederik Slijkerman

+++One criticism I have for Chapman's attitude throughout the book can be summed up best as his saying, "See? This company screwed up. It's because X, Y, and Z happened. It's so OBVIOUS!", while unintentionally giving examples of where X, Y, and Z failed to crush other companies. +++

Since you have read the book, such a comment deserves to be taken seriously. Can you provide an example of where I do this?

rick

Rick Chapman

+++Too bad you can't order The Product Marketing Handbook for Software on Amazon -- it's only available from one site that is down today. +++

Hmmm.  The site seems to be up now.  My apologies if was down.  I have noticed my ISP, who took over my previous ISP, seems to offer sevice that is less than 24/7.  I am looking into moving the site.

I am about to launch a promotion for the book that allows readers of my newsletter and the previous editions of the book to save money on the latest edition.  If you are interested, you can E-mail me directly and I'll provide the details.

rick

Rick Chapman

Any response Rick?

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I second the question: "why isn't the software marketing handbook available at Amazon.com".

I saw at some point that NN/g's (Nielsen Norman Group) report on e-commerce was $170 on their site and $250 on Amazon so I guess it's a lot of overhead in going that way, but the Amazon experience is a pretty good alternative channel nevertheless- although one might say that ordering on the site would be actually the alternative channel.

Cristian Cheran
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

+++I second the question: "why isn't the software marketing handbook available at Amazon.com". +++

Because from a business standpoint I perceive no value in handing over 55 points to Jeff Bezos.

That's it in a nutshell.

rick

Rick Chapman
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

<rick>Since you have read the book, such a comment deserves to be taken seriously. Can you provide an example of where I do this?</rick>

How is that example coming along Thomas?  At least give Rick the chance to argue his case.

Andrew
Thursday, February 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home