Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why did you call it CityDesk?

Why?

Vans Davis
Saturday, February 21, 2004

The original goal was to make an application for newsrooms and newspapers. The city desk of a newspaper is the most exciting department because it's where big city daily newspapers cover local news with their own journalists. I wanted to evoke the newsroom of Ed Asner in the old TV show "Lou Grant."

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Saturday, February 21, 2004

It's a great name too; it evokes cigars, hustle and bustle, Mickey Spillane and all kinds of things.
For me anyway.

Murkin (from Murka)
Sunday, February 22, 2004

But weren't you concerned with the fact that Chinese people might pronounce it "ShittyDesk"?

:-)

Like the City Wok/City Airlines in South Park

TJ Haeser
Sunday, February 22, 2004

Joel, I think you mean the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Nick@Nite junkie
Monday, February 23, 2004

Joel knows what he's talking about.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075528/

Catatonic

There was a product called City Desk in the UK in the 80s and 90s by a company named ACT Financial Systems. They were bought out by Misys in 1994 I think, not sure what happened to the product.

It was a program (actually a whole suite) that received financial data from Reuters and distributed them to Windows terminals. It was rather good for its time.

So, not knowing much about trademarks and the like, was there any problem using that name in the UK ?

whattimeisiteccles

Well, we have the registered trademark in the US, and nobody challenged it when we registered it.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, February 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home