Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why "Fog Creek"?

I realize this has already been asked before, but I have a sneaking suspicion, that each time its asked, I might get a different answer.  What say you?

Michael Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Saturday, February 21, 2004

When we started the company, as you WELL REMEMBER MISTER PRESIDENT OF FOG CREEK, we were out at the rented beach house and you found a turtle, so we wanted to call the company "Turtle Beach", which would have given us a nice mascot and and nice association with beaches, but there already was a company with that name, so we changed Turtle to Frog and Beach to Creek --> Frog Creek. Then somebody thought that it would be offensive to French (?!) so we dropped the first "r".

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

So *that's* why people still sometimes say Frog Creek... And why do some people call you Joe?  Was the 'L' also offensive to the French?

Michael Pryor
Fog Creek Software

I don't know but it's always Latin Americans that call me Joe.

ATTENTION, THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF LATIN AMERICA...

oh never mind

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

LOL Joel.

Anyway Turtle would have rhymed with Turdle, dangerous.

Alex.ro

Is this for real?
I'm not sure if this story-of-the-name is too wacky or just too banal. Perhaps you should invent a better story to give the press when Fog Creek hits the really big-time.
This posting reminded me of that old Monty Python audio cassette I had with the skit about the rock band names.
I guess we can all be glad it's not City Desk by "Poached Trout in a White Wine Sauce"

Let me see... google, google... ah here it is:

http://www.wordlab.com/articles/mp_rocknotes.cfm

rhubarb
Monday, February 23, 2004

This reminds me of the story of how Roedy Green named his company.  Seems that as a kid there was a company name used in some cartoon or other, the name was Consolidated Moose Pastures.  So Roedy (as a kid) said that if he ever started a company he would call it Consolidated Moose Pastures.  And Roedy (as an adult) named his company CMP.  But then Byte magazine called.  He was doing a feature on the (Forth based) computer language he invented ("Abundance: A Data Base language that can run backward in time") and they wanted to know what CMP stood for.  In a panic that Byte would not publish his article if he told them the truth, he thought up Canadian Mind Products right on the spot.

RH
Monday, February 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home