Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why not start a new forum?

Why did you recycle newyork instead of creating a new forum? Computers are usually good at this sort of thing.

Nona Myous
Saturday, February 21, 2004

Due to the simplistic design of the forum software, we need a whole SQL database for each discussion forum. Creating a new one takes a lot of steps (copy old one, truncate rows, and modify a bunch of backup schedules). Changing a couple of strings in HTML was vastly easier.

(It's just a matter of 5 minutes work instead of 15 minutes work. In fact the database for this forum is still called "delphi" because the New Yorkers forum was an attempt to bring life back to the "delphi" ghost town.)

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

This seems to be related to my copy 'n' paste question, which people will see if you respond to it.  It seems like you resort to copy 'n' paste when you need to get things done too?  Or maybe you see nothing wrong with it to begin wtih?  What if you need to modify all the forums for some common upgrade, do you just change all of them manually?  (I don't know anything about databases, so I'm not sure if this is that similar to copying and pasting C source for example and then modifying it).

Roose

Quick and Dirty won the day for this forum.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

quick and dirty. from joel? arrgh

Actually, this reminds me of a bit of net-lore: Froggy's Usenet Salvage Company:

http://www.angelfire.com/la/carlosmay/FUSC.html

Basically, because it was so easy to create usenet groups (you remember usenet, don't you?), lots and lots and lots of groups were created. But it was difficult (or almost impossible) to delete them. So somebody got the idea to "salvage" the unused groups. So they set up shop in alt.sex.hello-kitty and went around looking for unused groups and them offering them up to other people in need of groups.

It was, of course, mostly a joke (of the "ha-ha only serious" kind). But it's nice to see the practice is still alive and well here on JoS.

Bill Tomlinson
Monday, February 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home