Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

MSExchange POP3 Instructions

Is there any documentation on how to configure MS Exchange Server to work with the Dispatcho service?

I got the email-into-FogBUGZ to work fine using my personal POP3 account from my ISP, so I know the problem isn't with Dispatcho, but I'd like to be able to set up mailboxes for this purpose on our Exchange server.

I get the following error when trying to log in to Exchange from the Mailboxes config screen in FogBUGZ:

"Could not log into the mail server: A error occured in the protocol."

Any ideas?

Tim Lara
Monday, December 02, 2002

Does exchange server support POP3?

Michael H. Pryor

Yes.  At least, I know Exchange 5.5 or greater does.  We have POP3 listed on the list of protocols for each mailbox.

We haven't been able to log in via POP3 using Outlook Express either, so I don't think the problem is necessarily specific to anything FogBUGZ is doing - at this point I don't think the server is accepting POP3 logons...

If I happen to figure it out before you guys do, I'll be sure to post how I did it as I'm sure we're not the only customers running Exchange!

Tim Lara

Got it working.  Here's what I did:

1) In the Exchange 5.5 administration program, I went into the POP3 protocol setting dialog and under the "authentication" tab, I enabled "Basic (clear text)" authentication.

2) I created a new Exchange mailbox with POP3 enabled.  In this case, I called it "SoapErrors".

3) I created an NT User account called "Dispatcho" for logging into the mailbox on the Exchange Server.

4) On the FogBUGZ mail account configuration screen:

Where it says "Account Name" I used the following format:

NT Domain/NT User/Mailbox Alias

This seems to have done the trick.

As an aside, my request for a future version of FogBUGZ would be to give Dispatcho the ability to use a more secure authentication method such as NT Challenge/Response instead of just clear text.

Tim Lara

I don't think NT challenge/response is in the POP3 protocol ;-)

Michael H. Pryor

I dunno how it works, but Exchange Server apparently supports it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q175440

Since Dispatcho is only logging in over our trusted LAN, I'm not too worried about the logon info being sent out unsecured - and so far I haven't been able to log in via POP3 from outside the building - but I'd still rather not turn on that clear text option in Exchange if I don't have to...

Is no one else using Exchange???

Tim Lara

Cool!  I'll check it out... We rely on a 3rd party tool to do the mailbox login so we're somewhat at their mercy...

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, December 03, 2002

Use SSL-encrypted POP3. Exchange supports this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q175439

and so do we, if you change the port to 995. The whole conversation will be encrypted.

Joel Spolsky

Thanks.

For sure, SSL would be great - it's just that I know my boss won't want to pay any SSL certificate fees.  Just like how electrons always flow towards an area of the least potential, our boss has everyone trained to always seek the cheapest way out of a given situation!  ;-)

Tim Lara

You don't need a certificate. Sign the certificate yourself, and then import it as a "trusted authority" on the machine that runs FogBUGZ.

Joel Spolsky

How do I sign a certificate myself?  All the Microsoft docs seem adamant that I use Verisign.  I can't seem to find anything telling me how to create my own "in-house" certificate...

Tim Lara

Nevermind - Apparently we don't have Certificate Server installed  and/or working properly...Must be why I'm having such a hard time creating a certificate...Doh.

Tim Lara
Thursday, December 05, 2002

We created our certificate using the open-source openssl package. Then we imported that certificate in PK12 format on each computer that needs to check mail as a trusted authority.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, December 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home