Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Splitting a case

All support emails for one of our products go right into fogbugz as inquirys, which is a real time saver and we love it.
However, there is a tendancy for some of these enquirys to drift off topic as messages go back and forth between the customer and the support team. For example, the initial enquiry might be about feature X, but when the customer gets their answer, they reply with a new question about something unrelated. This ends up in the original case making it hard to find.

My question is this...
Is there a quick and simple way of splitting a case up into 2 cases. At the moment we are dealing with this by forwarding the new inquiry on to our support email address with a new subject, starting a new case. The problem with this is that "reply to" address of the customer is lost and has to be copied over manually and the whole process is a little clumsy and error prone.

Thanks.

Rik
Thursday, November 28, 2002

Forward the message instead of replying. Then you get an option to use the original sender's email address as the sender of the new message.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, November 28, 2002

Yes, I had noticed that, but it seemed odd. The option was in the "From" field, so I can send emails that appear to have come from our customer very easily. However, we need to be able to send emails "To" the customer. This field does not have a drop down and after forwarding the bug to start a new case, actually contains our support email address.

It is easy not to notice that the To address is set to the wrong value and our support team often ends up having conversations with itself.

Rik
Friday, November 29, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home