Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How do I use Duplicate Tracking?

In the new features list, it says, "Duplicate tracking creates a link between duplicate bugs."

How do I do this?

Tim Lara
Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Resolve a bug as duplicate. You'll be prompted to enter the bug ID number of the bug which this is a duplicate of, and bidirectional links will be created.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Got it.  Thanks!

One other question now that I've seen how this works:

I noticed that when I close a bug that has duplicate links, the duplicate bugs remain open.  I'm guessing that this by design - i.e. duplicate bugs were probably opened by different people and therefore have to be closed separately by the people who originally opened them, etc, etc...

While that basically makes sense to me, I was thinking that it might be handy if FB could automatically send out notifications to the owners of duplicate bugs when an event occurs in a "linked" bug.  Kind of like an "auto-subscription-by-association" sort of thing...or maybe that would be just be overcomplicating things.  What do you think?

Tim Lara
Friday, November 29, 2002

How about the same idea for Features?  We find that several users request the same feature with slight variations in wording.  It would be nice to be able to create links between these.  Currently it seems that Resolve as Duplicate is limited only to bugs (I don't see that option when Resolving a feature). 

Assad E.K. Ebrahim
Friday, December 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home