Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Upgrading 2 to 3 and access to sql

We are ready to move from FogBugz 2 to 3 this week, but also want to migrate the DB from jet/access to SQL at the same time.

What's the recommended way to do this with the least amount of headache?

Jason Glassbrook
Monday, November 25, 2002

I would suggest upgrading to 3.0 first, getting it running ok, and then upgrading from Access to SQL server (using the upsize wizard).

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, November 25, 2002

We too are migrating from Access to SQL having already installed and used 3.0 successfully for a few weeks using access.

We want to move to SQL Server 2000 and need to know the easiest way to do this with the minimum of down-time.

I have created a new database and used DTS to import the data and schema.

It looks good, but I don't know if the SQL Server installation of FogBUGZ installs any funky stored procedures, triggers, or anything else - perhaps you could enlighten us?

Thanks again,

- Nigel

Nigel Quinnin
Tuesday, December 17, 2002

I did this about four times in a row before figuring it out. Sadly, I had the same problem back when I rehosted my FogBUGZ 2 database, but forgot what I did to fix it :-(

Anyway, the most important thing is to make sure the primary keys in each table (ixBug, ixPerson, etc.) are marked as IDENTITY columns in the SQL Server database. Otherwise, things will work pretty well until you try to add a new case, project, person, etc.

Hope this helps.

David Thompson
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home