Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dependencies

Is there a way to express a dependency between multiple bugs.  I would like to use FogBUGZ in part for our build / release manager.  He would be able to see that a developer has requested that their application be released, however, releasing his application requires modifying some database schema (or any other arbitrary dependency).

The idea is that the build manager could go through the requests closing the "bug" once the release goes out, but not accidently forgetting to release two things that are dependent on one another.

Paul Wolpe
Friday, November 22, 2002

You could add a note that says

Fix BugzID:4 and BugzID:5 before closing this bug?

The BugzID:4 will turn into a link to bug# 4.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, November 22, 2002

I would love to see a more robust bug dependency feature. Our products are built on a core set of libraries that another in-house team develops, so often defects in the products are traced to defects in the core. We need to have two defects open -- one to fix the core bug and another to implement the fix (when available) in the product.

This can be done with links and subscribing to bugs, but it would be nice to have a more robust solution, where one could view dependency trees and actually force one fix to require another.

Corey Reid
Monday, December 16, 2002

The solution that I've currently seen in our development team is people will just forward bugs around where it would really make more sense to open a seperate bug against the infrastructure component and make their bug depend on the infrastructure bug.

Bugzilla may not be a pretty solution, but I do appreciate the bug dependency mappings that it allows for.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a pretty indication that a given bug is "blocked"? (maybe in the summary or in a report)

eric
Friday, November 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home