Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Thoughts on using FogBUGZ

We are a small company looking into this product for bug tracking. I wanted to get some feed back on the good and bad experiences other users have had with FogBUGZ. I would appreciate some opinions from existing customers. Thank you,

Eric R
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

We also have a small shop (ten users) and have had nothing but good experiences with FogBUGZ.  The initial version we licensed (2.0) had, in our opinion, some shortcomings; but Fog Creek has been extremely responsive and addressed virtually all of our concerns with version 3.

All of our users, both technical and nontechnical, find it easy and natural to use.  The flow of assignments makes sense, and the design is quite forgiving; unlike many of the other products we looked at, the case screens don't have a million fields that you have to fill in.  It's clean and simple, and it provides all of the information and tracking we need without being overbearing.

At this point, we really don't have anything bad to say about the product.

Chris Dunford
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

I work for a small company as well, about 8 people. We've been using it for about 6 months now and have no complaints. The interface is clean and simple and email integration is excellent. Another strong point for us is its close integration with MS windows. Because of our size, we just can't afford to take a week to learn how to setup a linux box so we can take another week to get bugzilla installed so we can take another week to figure out how to connect it to our Exchange server... etc.  We just don't have the resources for stuff like that. I had fogbugz installed in 20 minutes. A final point - when we first started using the product there was an urge to say 'but its missing feature X or there's no field for Y'. I found that taking a step back to re-think, I usually find a solution that fits within the fogbugz system. this is a common point made in the forums but it always help to re-iterate.

JN

We are using it in a development environment.  It works very well for us.  It's clean and easy to use.  Doesn't have all the "bells & whistles" of a more expensive program - but if you don't need them or can live without them, then this is a great product.  My only recommendation would be to hook up to a SQL Server back-end database.  You will get better performance and better searching capability.

Hrag Kopooshian

Our company introduced FogBugz in the spring of 2001. We set out with less then 5 users, we have now moved to a 10-license.
We were looking for a product that:
- Requires no installation (nothing) on the client side (we have automated testing where this helps keep diffs clean)
- Can be used instantly
- Requires a minimum of training and more importantly, a minimum of alignment in our thinking
- simple enough to understand easily in case something goes really wrong and needs fixing
- has a clean and straightforward UI to users with different levels of expertise.
- moderately priced (not necessarily free - we were about to trust our practices on it...). We wanted to 'buy' this thing and not use a free solution for the support.

FogBugz was introduced without problems and we gained a lot from the very beginning. With the introduction of 3.0, we have the integrated ability to open up to external personnel plus a lot of other things (refer to the feature guide for a sizy listing).

Ever since its introduction, our inquiries have been answered promptly and properly. Actually, this latest was the decisive factor in our choice. I would recommend the demo and some inquiries to make yourself more comfortable - if needed - before deciding.

Jozsef Toth
Thursday, November 21, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home