Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Track number of hours per developer per date

This is important to be able to calculate the amount of resources that are being utilized for a particular case and across cases and per customer. Also useful for Invoicing Customers.

Sanjoy Sahgal
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Sounds like you need a pivot table:

http://fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/kb/howto/UsingPivotTablesinExcel.html

Joel Spolsky

I expect all the developers to use FogBUGZ every day and update the number of hours they have devoted to each case.

When they record this I would like have a record of the name of the Developer/Tester who has devoted time to the case as well as the date on which it was done. This way I can precisely calculate the cost of each case vis-a-vis what the customer is billed.

I know how to use Pivot Tables but it doesn't make sense to make the Developers log hours in two different places.

Sanjoy Sahgal

You link the data in FB to the excel spreadsheet like the article suggests.  Then the data is only in FogBUGZ and the pivot table pulls it from there.  They don't need to log it in two places...

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, November 20, 2002

I don't know the Database Structure of FogBUGZ but from the appearance it does not seem as if the number of hours elapsed is saved per developer per date.

Only if I have the elapsed time entered as Date, Developer, Hours can I use it further, in a Pivot Table or whatever. If it is saved as one field "Elapsed Time" then it is not much use.

Sanjoy Sahgal
Friday, November 22, 2002

You're right, we don't save the number of hours per day per person, only the total number of hours.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, November 22, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home