Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

setup problem

I just tried upgrading 2.0 to 3.05 and it failed with an access denied error trying to stop Dispatcho service. I read in some msg that Dispatcho is part of 3.0.. yet this failure was on my first attempt to install. What now?

I was also a bit shocked when I saw the "Stopping web service" message, and pissed off a lot of people who were busy using it - frankly you could have warned me!!

Graeme Hood
Monday, November 18, 2002

Can you send us the exact error?

Since you don't have the dispatcho service yet, it's supposed to ignore the fact that it can't stop the dispatcho service, not show you an error.

Sorry about stopping IIS without warning; I'll work on that.

Joel Spolsky

Can't give you the exact error cos it takes 15 minutes to get to it and I'm going home after my 3rd attempt.
The "Setting permissions" phase takes 12 minutes!!!
I'm using a local account and I gave it "log on as service" rights just in case.
The error is basically "You don't have permission to start the dispatcho service" then when I click OK, it rolls back everything, stopping the bloody www service again.....

Looking forward to a fix in my email tomorrow morning.
Thanks

Graeme Hood

I can't think of what might be wrong. Please contact customer-service@fogcreek.com, they can remotely debug your system and get it set up.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home