Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visual SourceSafe

Can FogBugz be integrated with VSS at all? I am very impressed with FogBugz on my current trial but we already use VSS and are happy with it.

Cheers,

Mark

mark tortolano
Friday, November 15, 2002

When we investigated this, we discovered that Visual SourceSafe does not have any kind of trigger mechanism that allows it to inform other applications when something has been checked in, so there was no good way to integrate with it.

Joel Spolsky

Somehow the CruiseControl (http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/) folks figured out how to detect when something has changed in a VSS repository.  Probably via polling.

Shad J. Aumann

I agree with the benefits of a link to VSS.

We use VSS exclusively and do not forsee any circumstances where we would change. We have bought FogBugz and are very happy with it. The lack of a link to VSS is quite serious and nearly prevented the purchase.

The benefits of FogBugz far outweigh this drawback but the product champion for FogBugz in our workgroup really had his work cut out when it was clear there was integration with other repositories but not VSS.

John Rees
Monday, November 18, 2002

You know, there's a very simple, low-tech solution to that problem. When you fix a bug, write a list of the version numbers of the files you changed (along with the file names). Then add that file to the bug details. So in future you can refer to those numbers and use VSS to diff the files. Once you get used to doing that it takes almost no time at all but provides full traceability.

John C
Monday, November 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home