Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Can someone compare this to bugzilla please

THanks.

Hunter Peress
Thursday, November 14, 2002

Joel wrote:
"Here's a random data point -- about half of the people who take advantage of our competitive upgrade are upgrading from Bugzilla. This is self-reported so it's not ultra scientific.

I don't know much about Bugzilla (sorry, no time to review the competition!) but it's pretty clear to us that quite a lot of teams that had Bugzilla up and running evaluated FogBUGZ and decided to shell out actual money for it."

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=691&ixReplies=5

Michael H. Pryor

Can someone who's a switcher care to reply.

Hunter Peress

I am considering the switch. Here are some of my observations/justifications I will make to the boss:

- Our people love the *idea* of Bugzilla but adoption is slowed because of the intimidating UI. FogBUGZ has a much friendlier interface.

- While Bugzilla can be integrated to e-mail it is not nearly as transparent as FogBUGZ. If we could *easily* track support e-mails it would be a big help and get a lot more people into the system on a daily basis.

- FogBUGZ converts incoming e-mail attachments to FogBUGZ attachments. We currently receive incoming faxes as e-mail. This would let us track and assign faxes to people. Maybe Bugzilla can do this; I haven't tried because it's likely to be complicated.

- Easier to search. While Bugzilla gives you QuickSearch for open bugs, you often want a text search across ALL bugs. For Bugzilla you would have to build a query including all possible states of RESOLVED, VERIFIED, CLOSED... in FogBUGZ you just enter the text and click "Also search closed cases".

- Pictures of cute doggies instead of a giant ant. :-)

Some of my concerns are:

- There is no database transfer utility from Bugzilla to FogBUGZ.

- In Bugzilla, you are automatically "subscribed" to a bug you submit. In FogBUGZ only the bug owner receives notifications unless other people manually subscribe. Usually the submitter would like to be updated - e.g., to know when your bug is fixed so you can tell the customer.

- Bugzilla lets you add people to the CC: list so issues can be brought to the attention of several people (ex. if it involves coordination between departments). In FogBUGZ it appears you would have to separately e-mail the people involved to tell them the bug ID.

Nathan Silva

Regarding the concerns:

"Usually the submitter would like to be updated - e.g., to know when your bug is fixed so you can tell the customer."

Note that when a bug is resolved - fixed (or resolved period) it gets assigned back to the user who opened the bug, which does generate a notification to them.

Michael H. Pryor

Thanks, Michael. I'm told our e-mail server was down at the time I was trying to test it...

Nathan Silva

Bugzilla looks pish - that's the big problem with it. No user, especially a non-techy one, when confronted with that will use it. FogBugz really scores on user-friendliness.

mark tortolano
Friday, November 15, 2002

I think one of the main gaps in Fogbugz and the thing that gave us the most pause when we were trying to decide which bug tracking system to go with is that Fogbugz does not support MySQL out of the box.

Using a Jet-based database makes it more difficult for us to implement some things such as replication of the bug database and hot backups. MySQL supports both.

We need replication capability because we plan on having private and public bug databases that we'd like to keep in sync. The public database would have our own custom interface on it. MySQL gives us real-time replication.

Also our hosted infrastructure is completely Linux-based and we can't really justify buying a dedicated windows machine just to host bugs.

Backups. Jet makes me nervous. With MySQL, Innodb tables, and the Innodb hotbackup tool, I can do hotbackups without bringing the database down or worrying about locking.

True, I could use MS SQL server, which provides most of what we're looking for. But, the pricing is all out of whack. I don't really feel like paying $5K/CPU. It definitely brings the TCO of Fogbugz way up.

We did end up going with Fogbugz b/c the UI was so much easier to work with than Bugzilla, but when we have some time, we will try getting Fogbugz working via the ODBC interface with MySQL.

James Park
Friday, November 15, 2002

James,

You'll be happy to know that we are planning to support MySQL.  (Maybe not to the point that setup supports MSSQL and Access, but if you know your way around a db, switching to using MySQL will be a cinch.)

I have absolutely NO timeline on this, but its a sooner rather than later thing.  We already have one customer using FB with MySQL...

Michael H. Pryor
Saturday, November 16, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home