Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FB3.0 Seems MUCH SLOWER

Just upgraded to 3.0 and the upgrade wizard worked great but all queries seem much slower (30 seconds for my default List non-grid, versus about 3 seconds in FB2x).

Watching TaskManager on the server, the CUP is pegged while its building the page and DLLHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE are the culprits. As soon as the page refreshes, the load drops back down and those processes go idle.

Anyone else notice this? Any ideas on how to speed it up? Is the license manager the problem (what I assume LSASS is).

David Avraamides
Thursday, November 14, 2002

LSASS is the Windows security module, not the FogBUGZ licensing component.

Are you using SQL Server? Since you upgraded, I assume you're still using an ODBC connection with a system data source? If so it may be faster to switch to a direct (OLEDB) connection.

Joel Spolsky

30 seconds means something in the install is broken.  That is not a normal listing time regardless of how many bugs are being shown or if you are using ODBC or OLEDB.  Something is timeing out if its taking that long.

Go to the Licenses link when you are logged on as an admin.  What does it say there in the big textbox?

Michael H. Pryor

I am using SQL server, but you are right, I accepted the default ODBC DSN during the upgrade. I changed it but it made no difference: still takes about 30 seconds to build my list page with about 30 bugs on it.

David Avraamides

In my licenses box it says:

License for Sagamore Hill Capital Management L.P.: 50 named users on DEVELOP (S-1-5-21-1614895754-746137067-682003330) purchased on 11/14/2002 - Order #1893644 [in use]
License check passed: You have licenses for 51 named users.  There are currently 43 named users active.

David Avraamides

Are you using Integrated Windows authentication in IIS?

To check this:

Run Internet Services Manager
Expand your computer
Expand your web site
Right click on the FogBUGZ web site and choose Properties
Go into the Directory Security Tab
In the Anonymous Access box, click Edit

See if the Integrated Windows authentication box is checked.

If it is, try without it.

Another thing to try: try using Netscape instead of Internet Explorer. Netscape doesn't know how to do Integrated Windows authentication.

Joel Spolsky

Im experience the same problem, using netscape 7.0 didnt
help, and changing to OLEDB gained some performance(from 30 secs down to about 15-20), but thats still pretty slow. Any thoughts?

Iqbal Ahmad
Friday, November 15, 2002

Actually i was wrong, it seems to be down to like 3-4 secs now that my bugs queue is a little slimmer.

Iqbal Ahmad

We've done some performance tuning and have a version that should be much faster for those of you that have been seeing performance problems. We'll release this soon as FogBUGZ 3.0.7.

Joel Spolsky

David actually had some weird problem where IIS actually was slowing things down.  A reinstall sped things up by a HUGE amount.

At the same time, Joel is also making some tweaks that will improve performance a bit.

I could never determine the actual root cause of the reason that IIS was slowing down the COM calls, but it seemed to take an awful long time to do it.  Thankfully, there system is running quickly now though.

Michael H. Pryor

Hmmm, I should have waited for the code to settle before doing the upgrade!

Most clicks on FogBugz have become unbearably slow, taking between 20-30 seconds...

If you're considering an upgrade, wait for the new version!  I'm sure these speed issues will be ironed out shortly... right Joel?

John
Sunday, November 17, 2002

The only thing that should be anywhere near that long is the list page with a few hundred bugs on it.  If its taking 20-30 seconds for anything else, you probably need to reinstall IIS.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, November 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home