Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Line Endings in notification emails

I'm a new user, and noticed that email sent to me from FogBugz looks horrible when viewed in Eudora.

Closer examination of the message, and poking around in CBug.asp would suggest that line-breaks are put into outgoing emails as just <LF>, rather than the <CR><LF> which I would have expected. 

Clearly, I can fiddle with CBug to change this, but can anyone else confirm that:

1. FogBugz does send messages with single LF line breaks.
and
2. This is wrong (i.e. contrary to RFC822 or whatever its modern equivalent is)

I'm the first to agree that Eudora could do something a bit more intelligent with them than it does, but it happens that it doesn't.

Will Dean
Thursday, November 14, 2002

You are correct on all counts. We have a bug, we're using vbLf where we should be using vbCrLf in CBug.asp. You're welcome to change it yourself or wait a week or so for the next incremental release and it will be fixed.

Thanks!

Joel Spolsky

Great!  I've already changed it, actually...

I don't know if it's related in code (I don't imagine so), but whatever mechanism is reponsible for sending the 'from Joel Spolsky' mails when you open a trial account also seems to have the same problem.  (Or the text file which gets sent is broken in the same way.)

Will Dean

Yep, I just fixed that yesterday (that's why I know all about crlf's in email :)

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home