Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Spam Proofing our discuss boards

Hi.  My name is Charles, and I am an intern here at Fogcreek.

I want to let all the contributors to our discussion groups know that we have changed the way private email is sent to someone who has made a posting.

Please feel free to include your email address in your postings.  If anyone makes a personal reply, they do it through our website without ever becoming aware of your email address.

We will keep the email address completely private and secure in our internal database.

Charles Reich
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Whoa, this means it was possible for people to pick up your e-mail address through these boards before then?

Bob Hu
Thursday, November 14, 2002

Any website is subject to email search robots (or spambots) going through its HTML looking for a "mailto:" link.

Charles Reich

Actually we used to use a JavaScript trick which hid the mailto link by obfuscating it (using a document.write and hexadecimal encoding). 99.99% of all spambots are too stupid to tell that this was a mailto: link so they ignored it. But one person claimed that they received a spam at an email address that they posted in this forum, so Charles made this change to make it 100% watertight.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home