Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Moving DB and Backups

What is the recommended way of moving the FogBugz database to a new location (I want to move it to somewhere that is backed up more often than program files)?

I am using the Access DB and I can see the configuration option that tells FogBugz where the DB is. Can I just move the MDB file and update the entry in the fogbugz config? How can I be sure that nothing is going to be trying to mess with the DB while I am in the process of moving the file.

Also, a recent backup of the database in its current location skipped the actual database, claiming the file was in use by another app (Dispatcho?). How can I be sure my database is actually backed up?

Rik
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

I assume you're using 3.0.

The best way to do it:
1) copy the database to the new location
2) log on as Admin, go to Site screen, change the database filename
3) when it all looks OK, delete the original database.

The reason to copy instead of move: if the database can't be found in step "2" you won't be able to log on.

As for backups: technically if you stop IIS, nobody should be using the MDB file and you'll be able to back it up. In most situations I think you will see that IIS stops using the database about 15 minutes after the last user accessed it -- you can tell by looking for an LDB file next to the MDB file which indicates the file is in use - so if your backup is scheduled to run late at night it should be able to copy the file successfully most of the time.

Joel Spolsky

Unless you have Dispatcho running and you get an email 15 minutes before the backup is supposed to run...  That's basically the same as logging in to use FogBUGZ.

Michael H. Pryor

So, in order to automate this I will need my backup tool to stop IIS and stop the Dispatcho service, do the backup, then restart IIS and Dispatcho.

Can anyone suggest how I could do this?

Rik
Thursday, November 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home