Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Filters Confusing...

We're testing FogBugz 3 and the number one issue I keep running around and resolving is one of Filters.

Yes, it's a good thing that filters are kept from session to session, but the process of removing all filters to see all open bugs is not obvious. 

Also, the fact that a filter is applied to the current results is there, but hidden in a screen full of information.

Is there a way to:

a) Make more obvious that there is a filter applied to the results you see on screen and,

b) a one-click way to remove the filter (and hey, maybe a toggle to remove all/re-apply last filter)?

Thursday, November 07, 2002

(a) an english description of the filter is at the top of the "list" page
(b) click "Filter," scroll down a little bit, and hit "RESET". This puts you back to a "sane" filter of "all open bugs" which you can then modify.

Joel Spolsky

A better behaviour could be to automatically add a "No Filter" or "Remove all filter" once at least a filter is saved.

Just my thoughts...

Patrick Gaumond

Aha. I expected the "Reset" button to restore settings to the state they were in when I entered the page (HTML <input type="reset">). That's not very useful but it's what you come to expect from a button labeled "Reset" on an HTML form.

My experience with this (a few minutes ago) was:

1. I looked for an "All bugs" option in the My Filters menu.
2. I looked for a "show everything" option somewhere in the Filters page.
3. I noticed the reset button but didn't think to click it (see above).
4. I concluded that the way to show all bugs was to manually reset every field to -- All --.

ns
Friday, November 08, 2002

Hi Joel,

That's what I was getting at.  "I" know all of this because I've used the software before.  But to the other, new users of FogBugz, it's very confusing.

Though the filter is there on the top of the screen, it's not very obvious.  Most of my users didn't even notice it and I was called over to explain to them where all the bugs had gone!

When I showed them the filter, they were perplexed that there was no way to turn it off without going to the filters page and clicking "Reset" (which is also not obvious to web-saavy users).

Perhaps a "Remove/Restore Filters" toggle at the top of the screen and a way to show that a filter is applied to the current results (oh, I don't know, a big red bar that says "Results Filtered" along the top of the screen or something?).

There is no "no filter" setting... There is ALWAYS a filter.

The "My Cases" link at the top is even a filter.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that people assume "no filter" means all bugs, but all bugs is just the "all bugs" filter. 

When you first come in, the filter you have is the "all open cases" filter.  It's not saved anywhere - but it is your default filter.

Anytime you are looking at a list of bugs, you have a filter set, even if you haven't saved any filters ... there is still your "current" filter.

Michael H. Pryor

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home