Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How will setup upgrade my database?

What will the setup program do if I try to "upgrade" an installation to v3? The "What Setup Does" document doesn't seem to cover migration of v2 databases to the new format, and I'm reluctant to just "try it" because our situation is a bit special.
We're running FogBUGZ v2 against a mysql database using the "linked tables" feature of MS Access and the mysql ODBC driver. (Everything works fine after I made a few small changes to the FogBUGZ .asps)
My real question is: Will the setup program try to modify our existing .mdb file (this would probably fail -- you can't change linked tables), or does it just read the data, convert it, and write it back to a new database (this would probably work)
Obviously this is not supported situation, but I want to avoid doing the database conversion by hand.

John Cormie
Monday, November 04, 2002

I didn't see anything that upgrades existing databases, so I dunno what happens.

I had to install a new version and then do a DTS import.  Unless there's something to automatically upgrade it within the setup, I suspect that's what will have to be done here.

John R. Troy

It's done after setup, the first time you log on.

We create a few new tables, add some columns to existing tables, and in some cases populate those columns with calculated values. Sometimes this is a bit complicated and there is some mighty tricky SQL to create the calculated values.

Do you think you could copy the data from MySQL to Access, run the upgrade, get everything working, and then move the data back out to MySQL? Might be safest. (In any case make lots of backups!)

Joel Spolsky

By the way ... if you still want to see the changes that FogBUGZ 3.0 makes upgrading a database, look in the file website\dbUpgrade.asp which has a whole bunch of SQL showing the upgrade step-by-step. (In most cases we needed to use different dialects for SQL and MS Access)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, November 05, 2002

John,

What changes did you make in order to get linked tables working with fogbugz? I have all the fogbugz tables linked to their counterparts in mysql via the mysql odbc driver.

From within access, I can open a linked table and see all the data, however fogbugz cannot seem to open the linked tables.

I get an ODBC connection failed message.

thanks in advance.

Joel...any plans on supporting databases other than Jet and MSSQL out of the box?

James Park
Monday, November 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home