Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

More Notifications Please ...

Will V3 support the assignment of more than one person to be notified when activity happens on a project or bug ?

We have multiple people assigned to monitor activity for a project, however, only one person is notified using FogBugz. It would be nice if more than one person could be notified, in the case that that person is not in/away.

Yes we could ask each person to log into the system as the "contact person", but it would be more effective if they were notified via email of the activity.

Ok, we could also achieve this by assigning an email group as the notification point.

Regs,

James Ladd
Thursday, October 10, 2002

FogBUGZ 3.0 allows anyone to subscribe (themselves) to any bug and receive all the notifications (until they unsubscribe).

Joel Spolsky
Friday, October 11, 2002

Nice.

Does this "subscription" functionality in FB3 extend to entire projects and areas and not just specific bugs?

Seems it would be handy to be able to say, "Fred is the primary contact for a given project, but Bill and Stan and Jenny also want to be notified as observers when something breaks."

This would still mean that the bug was opened by one person and assigned to one person, and only those two people could resolve it, but at the same time other people could be kept up to date with what's going on if they want to.

For one of our projects, the manager of the head programmer (generally off site) wanted to also be notified of every bug (even though he wasn't the one fixing them) so in order to do this, we set up a forwarding rule on the exchange server.  It works, but it sure would be nice if this capability was built in!

Tim Lara
Friday, October 11, 2002

Im with Tim. Well said.

Regs, James.

James Ladd
Sunday, October 13, 2002

To address the question directly: no, you can't subscribe to an entire project or area. I'll add that to the 4.0 wish list. Remember that this will generate an AWFUL lot of noise. Does anyone really want email every time any change is made to any bug in an entire project?

(BTW I have dealt in the past with managers who insist on a continuous stream of useless information. I was working at a company with 800 employees where you would regularly get email addressed to ALL that said "I will be out of the office for 15 minutes, getting coffee." This kind of noise was encouraged by the company founder and CEO. I used to joke about how he should have a police scanner in his office at all times, because maybe something interesting would come across.)

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, October 17, 2002

In my case, the person who is requesting this functionality *is* one of those managers who insists on a continuous stream of useless information - if only so that he always has a canned answer ready for the manager above him (the man with the $$) who insists on asking a continuous stream of useless "is it done yet?" status questions.

It would also serve as a sort of CYA for me so that this manager could never claim that he was "left out of the loop" on something...

So if you can think of an elegant way to implement it, a 4.0 inclusion would be swell.

Tim Lara
Thursday, October 17, 2002

It's not just about managers.

We have cases in our office where one person is assigned to fix a bug but let's say I (the reporter of the bug) want another person to contribute to the solution. I, who submit, know that to achieve the best result the assigned person should consult.

Currently we either say: 'Ask him/her as well on this issue' or assign the bug (case, I must remember!) to him/her and make a note on adding the information and passing on the assignment.

Jozsef Toth
Friday, November 01, 2002

Joszef, for that case we have subscriptions in 3.0 -- anyone can subscribe to any bug.

Joel Spolsky

True, though it is not the same as inviting the person. Including the subscription to areas in 4.0 should solve the case. Resorting to emails for single cases.

Jozsef Toth

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home