Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Project Access Control ...

Sorry if this is a re-hash but I didnt see it in the forum.

It would be very very useful to be able to control which users can see what Project and the bugs in that project.

For example:

We have two Projects, but the users of Project A should not be able to see or enter bugs in Project B.

Is this going to be in Version 3 ?
Is there a way I can do this now ?

Regs,

James Ladd
Thursday, October 10, 2002

The way we recommend doing this is creating two installations of FogBUGZ side-by-side. (FogBUGZ 3.0 will make side-by-side installs much easier).

We are not planning to add project-based access control in version 3.0 -- it's a lot harder than it seems (for example: what if you assign a bug to someone who is not supposed to be able to see that project?)

Joel Spolsky

Thanks Joel.

James Ladd

Why is it hard? If a person can't see the project then the list of assignees should not include that person...

Its one thing that seems to me to NOT be complicated. It may require a modicum of hard work but then again that would seem to apply to all of fogbugz (take that as a compliment).

So obviously I'm missing something (-:

James Murphy
Monday, October 14, 2002

One of the new features of FogBUGZ 3.0 is that there is a project dropdown in the bug edit field. When you choose the project dropdown the list of possible fixfors and areas change to include only what's available in that project, using client side JavaScript.

In order to do what you're describing, we would have send a table of all users and what projects they have permissions for to the browser so that the list of possible assignees could be modified as you change the project. Which would possibly be a security loophole. Or we'd have to let you assign it to anyone and then bounce you back an error message.

And there are other cases ... for example, if you remove someone from a project, what if they have bugs that were in that project? You could reassign them, or we could make it so that you're not allowed to remove people from projects in which they have bugs...

Anyway the bottom line is that there are a lot of places in the code where we'd have to do work to make this possible and we ran out of time :) There had to be something left for FogBUGZ 4.0...

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, October 17, 2002

Told you I was missing something (-:

(Time to start watching the clock for v3.0)

James Murphy
Friday, October 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home