Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email notification of Bug Update

We just set up Fogbugz, and imported our old Bugzilla DB to populate the system.  I am both the Administrator, as well as the Primary Contact for all bugs in the Project.  However, one of my developers marked a bug as Resolved (fixed), and I did not receive an Email notifying me of the change.  Have I missed a setting somewhere, or is it possible that this is an action that does not generate an email alert?  Thanks!

Jon

Jon Hance
Monday, December 13, 2004

When a bug is marked as resolved it is assigned back to the person that opened the bug for verification.  If you were not the person that opened the bug, you will not receive an email.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Hi Michael -

Thank you very much for the very prompt reply.  I just wanted to make sure I understood your comment, as it relates to a fairly typical QA situation.... Are you saying that unless a bug was generated by a specific QA person, then QA has no way of being notified that the bug has been edited or has transitioned into a Resolved state? 

Doesn't this seem like a fairly significant problem, since in most professional QA organizations, QA is not only responsible for finding/submitting bugs, but for also verifying that a related fix for a problem is correct and has not otherwise caused regressions in the app..? 

Is there any way around this somewhat problematic workflow, so that QA can be notified to any/all changes made to bugs within the system?

Thank you again,
Jon

Jon Hance

Just assign the bug to QA for testing after it's resolved, and then they will be notified. 

FogBugz always assigns the bug to the ORIGINAL opener of the bug to make sure the bug that they submitted was actually fixed.  Even if I'm a developer and I open a bug that someone else fixes, I want to be able to verify that it is fixed because there might have been confusion as to the actual bug and the other developer might have fixed something else or not completely fixed what I was reporting.  Even the QA person might not understand what I'm getting at as the bug could be fairly technical and not visible in the interface.

QA can simply open a filter for resolved bugs in any project and verify those bugs too.  Generating an email for every event in FogBugz would be information overload and we don't have a way to allow users to do this.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home