Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

licenses

My Licenses page says
"You have licenses for 3 named users.  There are currently 2 named users active."

We have only 2 users, and we bought 2 licenses.  Why would it say 3? 

Rich
Monday, December 13, 2004

We give you a free admin license with your first purchase.

Dmitri Kalmar
Fog Creek Software

FogBugz comes with one built in administrator license (its for the first account in your users page which cannot be deleted).  Some people leave this as 'Administrator', others rename it to their own name, and some use it as a dummy account 'New Bug' for example.  It's up to you to decide how you want to use it.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

So I really only needed to buy 1 license, because 1 is included free and there are only 2 of us.

Rich

You need to purchase one license for each user that will log in to FogBugz.  From our license agreement:

"The total number of users who have permission to set up accounts and access the software over a network shall be limited to the number of user licenses which you purchase. For example, if you purchase 10 user licenses, you may create up to 10 named accounts using the Software for 10 people to use the software."

The software has two builtin accounts, one called CLOSED and one called Administrator.  Only the administrator account is visible and it cannot be deleted.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

The two Michael H. Pryors need to get their stories agreed...

In http://discuss.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=4976&ixReplies=3

the other Michael Pryor said:

"Sure! You can use the built-in Administrator account for whatever purpose you like.", in reply to a similar question

(The question was roughly ".... does it mean i can buy 6 lincenses for 7 members?")

Will Dean

Sorry for the confusion.  I'll try to be as clear as possible.

You need one license for each user that logs in to FogBugz.  If you have seven users logging into FogBugz, you need to purchase seven licenses.

FogBugz comes with a built in administrator account which you can use as for whatever purpose you want.  This account is restricted in that it cannot be deleted and will always exist (as it is built in).  Some people rename this account to be 'New Bugs' or 'Customer Service', as you can rename it to be anything you prefer besides Administrator.

The built in account does not change the licensing terms.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

wish I woud have seen that previous post, could have saved 99 bucks.

FogBugz is worth the money we spent, but every bit I can save helps a small company like ours.

thanks...

Rich

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home