Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

User defined fields in v4.0

I am familiar with Joel's explanation about the user-defined fields in FogBUGZ (he does not recommend it so the FogBUGZ does not have it).

I really need this feature and this is the only one where the competitors offer more. I am satisfied with simple text field(s) with a possibility of naming the attribute(s) for end-user. Is there any chance to do this in v4.0?

Zoltan
Thursday, December 09, 2004

There is (long term) hope, in that Joel as just admitted in his Salon article that he was wrong about web apps. 

Perhaps in another couple of years (shortly before FB4 comes out), he'll decide he was wrong about user-defined fields, then we'll get them.  :-)

Will Dean

You can do this in 3.0, but it's even easier in 4.0.

Change the string FB_COMPUTER or FB_VERSION in lang.asp to whatever you want.  Then those two free form text fields become whatever fields for you to use as you need.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Yes, I know that I can change the name of the existing fields. The solution is "very clever".

However, I am takling about "real support". Since you are advising "shortcut solution" I think I am not the only one  with this kind of needs.

My question was about "real support" for user defined fields with enable/disable possibility, official renaming mechanism, data types (with maximal field length) etc.

Zoltan

Thanks for your comments.  We'll definitely consider your suggestion for a future version!

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Thanks for the slight hope, however in Joel's article "Painless Bug Tracking"
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000029.html
under "Top Ten Tips for Bug Tracking" point 10, he is clearly against adding new fields to the bug database. He is not a person who easily changes his mind.

I am satisified with solution that enables adding new fields during the installation of the application and database. That scenario is not agains point ten of the "God's will" because all the users have knowledge about all the fields from the beginning.

Zoltan

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home