Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

external bug entry forms

For beta tests, service requests, etc. we'd like the ability to create custom bug entry forms that are easier for folks outside of our development team to enter bugs with even logging in.  They would have a minimum of input fields, perhaps even just the title & description.

I've investigated this & it seems easy enough to take the "New Bug" form & trim it down/convert input fields to "hidden."

Has anyone tried this?  Are there session variables or other context hazards that will prevent me from having a form that submits bugs from outside of a fogbugz session?

Thanks!
--Neil

Neil Hoopman
Friday, September 27, 2002

Along the same lines, we'd use the same capability to make an e-mail->bug bridge so we can track responses to questions submitted via e-mail.

Neil Hoopman

We have solved both problems in 3.0.

If you go to fogbugz and are not logged in, you can still enter bugs to projects that the admin decides.  They can only enter the bugs, and cannot see any of the bugs.  It is the stripped down, New Bug form you were speaking of.

Also in 3.0 we have a new service which uses Dispatcho(TM) technology to pull messages out of a mailbox (or mailboxes) that you specify and put them into a project that you also specify.  You can have multiple mailboxes where the messages go to different projects and areas.  Then you can treat the "inquiry" is handled like a case.  (There are 3 categories of cases: bug, feature, and inquiry.)  You can even REPLY to the message and mail will be sent to the user (If they reply back it will automatically be appended to the bug).  Its a very powerful feature, and we are using it for customer-service right now.

We also have a feature which lets people "subscribe" to bugs so that they are emailed when changes are made to the bug.

Michael H. Pryor

Sounds very cool, Michael.  I'm looking forward to 3.0!

In the mean time, I think you're saying a simplified external form would be hard for me to do in 2.0, correct?  Just checking.

Neil Hoopman
Saturday, September 28, 2002

It's easy to do and it will work fine; be careful though because the form that works in FogBUGZ 2.0 will have to be modified a bit to work in FogBUGZ 3.0.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, October 02, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home