Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Custom fields in FogBUGZ

I saw the Sep. 12 question about custom fields in FogBUGZ and while I'm not going to say yes or no to custom fields per-se, I think it would be great if FogBUGZ had a field for an external bug reference.

We are doing a lot of work that requires us to extend existing vendor packages. As we find bugs in the vendor packages we are given bug numbers from the vendor's bug tracking systems. It would help us if we could enter these bug numbers in FogBUGZ so that we could link FogBUGZ bug ids to the vendor bug numbers. We're dealing with this issue by using meta tags in the bug description but it doesn't work well for searching.

Now for something completely different- I know this has been mentioned before, it would be great to be able to associate a group of users to a specific project so that a single instance of FogBUGZ could be used by multiple development teams without the risk of bugs being assigned to the wrong project.

Jeremy Dobrick
Thursday, September 26, 2002

Thanks for the suggestions!

You might want to create a fake "user" account in your database that corresponds to the vendor. Then assign all bugs in that vendor's code to that user until you get a fix from the vendor. Makes it easy to report on, at least.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, September 26, 2002

We have vendor accounts setup in the system for exactly this purpose. It does help for reporting but we have found that in general when we use the vendor account we lose track of who on our side is responsible for tracking the bug.

We're cheating a bit now and actually have added  "vendor", "internal" options to "Fix For" which allows me to filter on bugs that relate to part of the system I'm working on which require a vendor fix.

Cheers- Jeremy

Jeremy Dobrick
Friday, September 27, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home