Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Replicating Bug & BugScout tables

We're trying to set up the FogBugz ScoutSubmit page.  In my situation that means that scoutsubmit.asp & the database need to be at our colocation facility.  Because the main database is here at the office, we're repicating the needed tables out to the colo from this office.

The problem is that every once in a while the 2 different database servers (Sql Server 2000) give out the same ixBug (or ixBugEvent) identities.  In this case SQL server seems to be dumping the record from the colo database with the one from the office db.

We tried setting different seeds on the columns in each database, but as soon as one record gets the higher value the other starts counting up from there.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how we can make this work?

Thanks,
Shaun

Shaun Anderson
Friday, November 12, 2004

I'm surprised that SQL server replication isn't smart enough to deal with this.  Do you maybe have to explicitly tell it that the ixBug column in BugEvent is a foreign key to the primary key ixBug in the Bug table, etc, for all the FB tables?

One hack I can think of depending on how it handles the case where you set the seed to a value which has already been taken... is that you could run some script which constantly resets the seed on the one to a lower value...?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, November 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home