Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bug?...Sort of.

I ran across something in FogBUGZ today that is not exactly a bug, but more of an "unexpected behavior" type of thing that would be nice to have corrected if possible.

A while back, our mail server was hacked by spammers and then someone who received a spam message reported our domain to mailabuse.org which resulted in our mail server being temporariliy "blacklisted".

In order to remove this "blacklisted" status, we had to reconfigure our server so that it would not act as an "open relay" SMTP.

Because of these modifications, it just so happens that when FogBUGZ attempts to "send annoying email" to an address that is not in our global address list on our Exchange server, that message is rejected by our server and basically seems to disappear into the ether.

In other words, FogBUGZ is giving me a confirmation page that says the email was sent successfully even though the server actually rejected it.

I only recently realized that this was happening after I chewed out someone (who I *thought* I had emailed multiple times) about not tending to their bug reports.  Oops!

So my request, I guess, would be that it would be nice to have FogBUGZ return an error message in this situation.

When I attempt to send an "unauthorized" message using the SMTP command line utility BLAT, it fails and says something to the effect of:

"The mail server doesn't like the name foo@bar.com"

(Messing with BLAT is actually how I figured out why my FogBUGZ mail wasn't getting sent!)

I'm sure the browser-based nature of FogBUGZ makes it difficult to verify whether or not the process succeeded, but it sure would be nice!

Tim Lara
Thursday, September 12, 2002

FYI:

http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/blat.html

Tim Lara

Just added the error handling to FB3.

Michael H. Pryor

Fabulous!

Tim Lara
Friday, September 13, 2002