Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bugscout process

We are now using bugscout and are wondering how other people are using it. Specifically, are people using the automatically generated cases to manage the reported bugs? Or are they using the crash reports as input and creating separate cases to manage the correction?
Also, I am unclear yet whether a duplicate crash report will reopen a closed crash report & increment its occurences or create a new open case.

Randy McCharles
Friday, November 05, 2004

It will reopen a closed case if the description matches exactly.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/BugzScout.html

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software

I thought it would (it only makes sense) but I couldn't find documentation that said so, including in the above link.

This is why I think it might be better to create a separate case to manage any corrective action. The case that tracks the code changes stays closed.

Randy McCharles

I'm having a really hard time with some lame software installation instructions and support re ExpressionEngine. They charged $200 for a commercial licence and now they won't answer my emails. Can you recommend a different package?

dwolf

Here's from the above link:

"Duplicate bug submissions: If the description field of a bug submitted via scoutSubmit matches exactly to any existing bug, this new submission will be APPENDED to the existing bug's history, and a new bug will NOT be created in FogBugz. (You can over-ride that behavior if you set ForceNewBug to 1 or "true".) The following two things will also happen:

* The "occurrences" field for the existing bug will increase by 1. (The "occurrences" field of a bug, e.g. "3 occurrences", appears only when there are more than one occurences of that bug. In FogBugz 3.x it is present only in the List view, not the Grid view.)
    * FogBugz will return a status message to the person who submitted the bug. If there is already a case in FogBugz with the same description as this new bug, and that case has a "Scout Message" specified, that message will be returned to the customer. Otherwise, the "ScoutDefaultMessage" text will be returned to the customer. An example of a default message could be something general like "Thank you, your bug report has been received."

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Monday, November 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home