Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Assign to Multiple Users

I'm working with the trial version now.  I was wondering if there was a way in the current release, or possibly in the 4.0 version, to assign a case to multiple users. 

I realize that it is important to keep it simple, but let me give an example of what I'm trying to do:

An issue arrises that affects 2 people in our graphics department (2D and 3D) as well as programming.  All 3 of these people can work on this issue at the same time.  With FogBugz, I have to assign it to one of them at a time, which will take much longer.  Or, I have to ignore FogBugz and just send an email telling them to work on it. 

I guess I don't really care who it is "assigned to" as much as wanting to be able to notify the relevant people that they need to do something about it.  Regardless of whether their name is in the assigned column, they can then edit the case and log that they have completed their task.

I suppose I could also assign it to one person, then immediately assign it to another person, and so forth.  Is there a better way to do something like this?

Brian Poff
Thursday, November 04, 2004

There is a better way... Think of each case as being a jellybean that someone has to hold (only one person can hold a peanut at once -- otherwise it diffuses responsibility).  Imagine the projects and areas as jars where the jellybean live ... Then you simply have some people look at certain jars and either pick out the ones they can get to (otherwise they stay in the jar for other people to look at), or have a jellybean boss who is in charge of handing the jellybeans out of each jar to the appropriate party.

I realize that was just the weirdest analogy ever but I couldn't think of any other way to explain it :)

Real world example: We have a customer service project called the Inbox internally.  All of our outside mail gets pulled into there.  We have a dummy user called NewBug (you can use the extra free license in FogBugz for something like this) which the cases are assigned to initially.  Our customer support team monitors this project and when there are items in it, each case is grabbed by a rep who then answers the email.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, November 04, 2004

I'd like to ask further about something Brian mentioned.

Is it possible to originate an email from within FogBUGZ?  For example, send an email to a few developers to ask a question?  And/or send an email to a client regarding the case?

The idea being that we'd be able to keep the email history inside the case and available to everybody, instead of being in one person's email box.

I know this can be done when the case is created by an email, but what about other cases?

John Thompson
Friday, November 05, 2004

We added this to 4.0....

Although FogBugz 4.0 is not shipping yet, here's our planned pricing/licensing policy.

First, no prices will change. FogBugz 4.0 will remain $99 per user, $849 for ten packs and $7999 for the 100 pack. Support contracts will still be $18.30/year/person.

On the day we release FogBugz 4.0, if you own 3.0 and have an active support contract you will be entitled to upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 for FREE.

There will not be special upgrade pricing from FogBugz 3.0 to 4.0. Instead we will simply ask you to bring your support contract up to date. If you wish to resume a support contract after it has lapsed, you may do so by paying for the period from the time it has lapsed.

If you purchase a new license for FogBugz 3.0 now, you will receive 90 days of free support. We have not yet announced a release date for FogBugz 4.0, so we can't commit that the free 90 days of support would last long enough to upgrade to FogBugz 4.0 when it comes out. We can, however, guarantee that if you purchase FogBugz 3.0 now with a year of support you will definitely get the FogBugz 4.0 upgrade for free.

Michael H. Pryor

Why not create 2 separate bugs - 1 for 2D and 1 for 3D- They really are separate problems.

MikeG

Brian,

If you can assign a bug to multiple people, then who do you plan on holding accountable for not having not fixed it in a timely manner, when they all start pointing to each other saying, "But I thought you were going to fix that one?", "No, weren't you working on it?"

Seems best to only have one person who is responsible for it at a time. Or assign it to the manager or lead of that department who can figure out which of the three guys currently has more time to work on it.

Regarding e-mail notifications, yes, it would be nice to be able to have extra people notified of the assignment.

MarkS
Monday, November 08, 2004

Well, what I'd like to avoid having to do is typing the same stuff over and over for people in the other departments.  Perhaps if instead I could somehow have it create multiple identical cases that were assigned to different people, that would accomplish the same thing.  In other words, I assign it to multiple people, but the way it is implemented, it would just be separate cases with the only different being the person it is assigned to.  That would be OK too.

That being said, we're just getting used to the trial version and I don't have everyone's buy-in yet.  Anything that helps cut down on duplicate data entry will help achieve that. 

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-- Brian

Brian Poff
Tuesday, November 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home