Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What is new in FogBugz?

Greetings!

I last lookeded at FogBugz a year ago (and someone just emailed off a year old post on this forum!).

Where can I find out what is new since then?

Things I am interested in:

a) Multiple projects in one database.

b) Light, simple bug entry for tech support and external testers (via web gui, not email)

c) Ability for these 'front line' folks to look up and search only items that they or other front line folks have entered (e.g. not to see all the core dev team stuff, only the semi-public stuff)

d) Ability to paste screen shots directly into bugs.

e) Field to put Fixed in build [          ] so we can see what was fixed lately.

f) Feature to generate public and internal fix lists.  Probably done by a check box on each bug 
          [ ] Include in fix list

Any of this in fogbugz yet?

Thanks!

Raf
Thursday, October 28, 2004

A and B are in the current version, the rest are in the next version due out before the end of the year.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Wow, that is pretty cool news!

I will check back in a few months!

We have been wanting FogBugz because:

a) I like the discussion thread feature on items.  Currently we use a tracking system and an NNTP server, and that is kinda kludgy

b) FogBugz has perforce integration. Our current system does not.

I do not like browser UI's, because we (esp I) often need to pound in a lot of items, and I hate to use the mouse, but I am willing to compromise on this if we can get everything else....

Raf

Good news for folks like yourself: you don't actually have to use the browser! You can use a very lightweight Windows app to submit cases:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/BugzScout.html

(We'll also shortly be shipping a C# version of this with the source code included.)

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Friday, October 29, 2004

Oh yeah, that is cool!  A gui!

Raf
Friday, October 29, 2004

While we are on the subject of needed features, here is a feature I have seen in systems used by some bigger dev shops, that I think is really cool.

One of our users suggests a feature or reports a bug. We want to notify them when it gets built or fixed.

The way we do this now is we put the customer name into the notes of the bug report. Then, when QA is going through the fix list prior to release, we manually send out emails to each customer.

It is a drag, and folks get missed all the time.

It would be really useful to have project  properties:

[ ] Enable Customer Fields  // expose field for customer
                                                  name and email
  [ ] Enable Customer Notifications  // expose 'notify
                                                          customer' button
  [ ] Notification template
            [  MLE    ]

This way, when the PM is going through the list of 'what was fixed in this build we are about to put out' on each item he would have a button 'Notify Customer' which would send an email to the customer based on the template.

The template could have merge codes to merge in the bug description, etc.

This would make it one button easy to notify.

(I thought about automatic notifications, but that is a problem. For example, we might close out a bug as 'ain't gonna fix this one--tooooo hairy' and we don't want a notification to go out in that case.  So triggering on status change is not the ticket, IMO.)

Raf
Friday, October 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home