Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Cutesy photos

I like FogBUGZ but don't care for the cutesy photos and captions ("Banda Pear"). I don't see an admin option for turning them off. I would like to have that option.

Even better, I'd like to have the option to add an image with my own branding.

I would like to be able to do this from the UI, without having to dive into the code to make these changes.

Richard Sullivan
Monday, September 09, 2002

I second that this would be a nice addition.

I ended up creating a directory on the server where everyone could throw in photos and then adding some code that randomly picks one to display from that directory and uses the file name as the caption.  Kind of cheesy, but it works.

Nevertheless, if there is time to do it, I'd definitely prefer that something like this was built in.  Maybe something similar to a simple "feedback" form where you could click a button to browse to and upload a picture, type a caption in a box, and hit "submit"...

Tim Lara
Tuesday, September 10, 2002

"I ended up creating a directory on the server where everyone could throw in photos and then adding some code that randomly picks one to display from that directory and uses the file name as the caption. Kind of cheesy, but it works."

:)

That's what we did in 3.0.

Michael H. Pryor

Of course, I also agree that an option to turn off the pictures completely would be handy as well.  It seems like the best place for this option would be in a "user preferences" section.

I personally liked the baby animals at first (though I soon tired of them) but most of the stodgy grouch-o-ramas I work with did not like (or at least did not want to *admit* they liked) the animals at all.

Tim Lara

Cool.  Works for me!

Tim Lara

So, should we ship new animals with FB 3.0, or switch to something completely different (like pastries?)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, September 17, 2002

How about "Scenes Of Gruesome Inter-Condiment Violence"?

http://www.larapottery.com/whoop/whoop.html

Tim Lara
Thursday, September 19, 2002

Why don't you license the daily Dilbert or Kevin & Kell and include a scheduled task to pick it up each morning. :)

Chris Dunford
Thursday, September 19, 2002

Oh my.

Maybe we go back to pandas.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, September 26, 2002

I haven't yet had a chance to upgrade to FB 3.0, so I have one more question about how the custom photos thing works:

Do the images that I drop into the folder need to be a specific size (pixels x pixels) in order to not mess up the page formatting, or are they by chance automatically resized if they are too large?

On our "hacked" install of FB 2.0, some goober would occasionally throw a picture that was too big into the gallery folder and the page would get kinda ugly as a result...

Tim Lara
Tuesday, November 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home