Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

website management?

I've just started evaluating FogBugz and was wondering if anyone had used it for managing ongoing tasks on a website in addition to fixing problems and developing new pages and applications.  Seems to me two additions to FogBugz would be needed to accomplish this easily: a new Category, such as Maintenance, and the ability to schedule a recurring task (and assign it to someone).

Also, I think it would be useful to track sub-projects or different stages in a website project.  Example: Site redesign (overall project); Planning (sub-project or stage 1); Initial design (sub-project or stage 2); backend design and development (sub-project or stage 3), etc.

Thoughts appreciated.

Rick Penticoff
Thursday, October 28, 2004

- a new Category, such as Maintenance

I would suggest using the Feature category for this. Reserve Bug for defects, and Inquiry for incoming email.

- the ability to schedule a recurring task

I can see this as a useful feature... .we'll consider it for a future release.

- track sub-projects

That's what Areas within Projects are: sub-projects.

- or different stages in a website project

In FogBugz, that's what releases are: stages.

Example:
Site redesign - a project
Planning - an area
stage 1 - a release

Helpful? Questions, comments?

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Friday, October 29, 2004

Dmitri -- thank you for your helpful response.  I guess I had been viewing "Areas" too narrowly -- as being purely functional, since, for example, coding could take place over a number of different stages.  Anyway, your suggestion helps break the mental logjam.

- I would suggest using the Feature category for [Maintenance]

I agree that Feature is the best choice, given how the program is currently set up.  And for pure software development (your target customer), I can see how it's not needed.  But I still think that this is a very different kind of category from the other 3, since it involves ongoing and recurring tasks.  And it would be very useful for those of us not doing pure software development.  :-)

Rick Penticoff
Friday, October 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home