Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

fOGbUGZZZ doesn't sound professional

Joel said this:

I have actually gotten email from people who say they can't buy FogBugz because the name doesn't sound "professional."

Well my solution is to bring out the same product but in a slightly re-branded "box"

After all the Harry Potter books are available in two formats the one for kids and the ones for adults (with boring covers)

And Microsoft resold "Windows 98" as "Windows Me" [ joke :-) ]

So why not a "corporate" edition of FugBugz called .... ?

Joel why not run a usergroup competition to find the best corporate name with a prize for the winner.

Howard Ricketts
Thursday, October 21, 2004

"A bug tracking package for grey suited morons incapable of making a judgement on value rather than image?"

Mr Jack

Hmmm, catchy ... !

Howard Ricketts

And "Bugzilla" is more professional????

John Fuex
Friday, October 22, 2004

A large corporation that I used to work for years ago had the notion that the product names should consist of what the product did, and end with the word "system". It was in the healthcare information market.

So you had "Risk Management System",  "Utilization Managment System", "Physician Coding and Reimbursement System",  "Health Data Management System", Yawn... I always chuckled at how uninspired these names were. Sure they told you what the product did, but it doesn't scream, "We stand out, we're innovative".

However, I cannot comment on whether or not this is the right branding strategy or not.  I'm just expressing my feelings towards it.

Regarding FogBUGZ, it may seem a bit quirky, but I like it. Works for me. I like the product a lot. Connects to the name of the company... I know it deals with bugs (I mean bugz),  I won't forget it...

Agreed that stuffy management types won't "get it" though, but when are us techy types going to get together and stage a coup to take our industry back from the MBA types!! Then FogBUGZ will rule the world!!  ;-)

MarkS
Wednesday, October 27, 2004

"FogBugz" really is an exceptionally terrible name.

In non-english speaking countries the issues are magnified...

1. It's unpronounceable

2. "Fog" is often confused w/the F-word when spoken abroad (blame Hollywood)

3. The word "bug" may not be recognized, and certainly not the cute "z" at the end

4. Confusing description: FogBugz is not intrinsically related to computer bugs - broadly defined it simply manages "issues". In fact people don't have a clue what the product is about, going by the name alone. (granted, true for many brands)

Somehow I feel noone at Fog Creek ever thought about the World outside the US (or "International" as you yanks call it) when they designed and marketed this product.

Sure, "Bugzilla" is even worse, but that's besides the point...

HS
Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I blame it on the unnatural love Americans have for the letter z... On a serious note, people I've spoken to about FogBugz have a lot of problems remembering the name.

William D. Bartholomew
Thursday, December 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home